Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
kmplawesq

Getting ready to buy my first bike

Hi everyone. I'm finally trading up from my Yamaha Zuma (which has been the greatest "toy" I've ever had) and moving to a real motorcycle. Although I've been riding the scooter for years I'm now scheduled to take my MSS course in 3 weeks. While waiting I've been looking at different bikes. I've been mostly considering a 250 and have pretty much centered on the GZ instead of the Rebel (too small) or the V-Star (on salesman's recommendation). I'm 58 years old, 5'10" and about 185 lbs (yes, I know about mid-life crises) - and although a bunch of younger friends have suggested that I will be sorry that I am buying such a small bike it seems that for my purposes (mostly commuting here in NYC and some short distance trips) this would be the right thing to do - especially as a beginner. I also don't mind taking somewhat of a monetary hit in a year or so if I decide to move up so that isn't an issue. Any words of wisdom, recommendations or issues that I should consider? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
If you buy used you can minimize your depreciation hit. With gas prices the way they are, if you do decide to move up you can probably sell the bike for what you paid for it (or a bit less) due to the high demand for 250s.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Littlethumper

I agree with primal.... specially the way the gas price is and it still gonna go up they say!
Although, summer aint too long to be riding on our bike but still gas or budget saving...
Keep reading on threads and forums and sure will help you decide specially for a beginner like us!
By the way, good luck to your MSF course!

WELCOME ON BOARD!!!

DRIVE SAFE...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
kmplawesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
If you buy used you can minimize your depreciation hit.
I understand that as a purely economic decision used might be a better buy. But since I am not at all practiced at working on motorcycles (and not knowing a good used bike from a bad one) I'd end up buying from a dealer which would significantly jack up the price for a used bike. Knowing that I wouldn't be buying someone else's headache is a plus. However - something I just thought of - what is the break in period for a bike? Is it like when I used to buy cars and had to drive below a certain speed for the 1st 500 miles? That could seriously change the whole equation as it could curtail my riding for a significant period of time.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
5th_bike

Welcome.
The break in is 1000 miles, first 500 I think max. half gas, and 500 to 1000 3/4 gas max.
Which would force you to take it really easy especially for the first 500.
It needs its first maintenance (oil+filter change, check bolts tightness, check valve clearance, lube chain) at 600 miles.
It needs its chain lubed every 600 miles, you should be willing to do that yourself (it isn't too big of a deal) otherwise all your gas savings go to the dealer.
So I'd say buy used, as long as it has been properly maintained, either by a dealer or by the owner. Maintenance isn't too hard, so far I have been able to do everything myself, I wonder though if I will be able to change the fork oil, or getting new tires on when the time is there.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Sarris

New or Used

Greetings and Welcome.

I'm over 50 as well and I'm more comfortable buying new and having the full factory warranty. I've found that there truly isn't enough depreciation on a new GZ to bother me since I tend to keep my bikes for a long time. I've weighed the initial cost versus the factory warranty and in my mind I like buying new. Although there is good value in buying low mileage pre-owned bikes, good used GZ's are becoming harder and harder to find.

The GZ is one of three bikes I own and it's a wonderful small machine for around town cruising and 50 or 60 mile commutes at 60 mph or less. It has a shitty seat (that makes your butt hurt after about an hour) and isn't much fun (for long) on the interstate. It has a 500 mile break-in at less than 1/2 throttle and 1000 miles at less than 3/4 throttle. After 3000 initial miles my gas mileage went up to between 70 and 72 mpg. I now have over 12,000 trouble free miles on my 2005 GZ. I have my GZ maintained at an independent motorcycle shop.

The GZ is a bulletproof little bike that will serve you well when maintained properly and used to commute. There are some "Iron Butts" that do alot of long trips on their GZ, but I'll use a bigger bike for that purpose. I love my GZ.

Good luck!

Sarris

Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
davtnn

Well I was 60 when the bug bit me .. 63 now and the GZ is my 5th bike (settled on it as the most practicle ).. its a good little bike my 08 is the second GZ i have had and i believe i will stay with it .... Your MSF course is going to be fun (really).. just be cool and practice practice practice .. ride for your self and enjoy the experience