Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

How to back up a heavy bike UPHILL

Recently made the mistake of parking the Beast pointing inwards on a slight downhill. I had plenty of room in front when I parked it, but when I came back from soccer two hours later, there was a PT Cruiser just a few inches in front. Not enough clearance for me to escape going forward and the bike is too heavy for me to roll backward uphill. F*ck!

Here's the solution. Use the bike's weight against it:

1) Put it in Neutral.
2) Hold on to the front brake.
3) Shove the whole bike forward as hard as you can (with the brake on) so that the front shocks compress.
4) When the bike springs back, let go of the brakes and you can back it up a few inches.
5) Repeat as necessary.

Or, you can ride a GZ.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: How to back up a heavy bike UPHILL

Looks like another bump upwards on the learning curve. lol. You might want to get a better look at the parking area and back in if the slope is the wrong way. Just be thankful you weren't on tippy toes also, that can make for some real tense moments. Learned that with the Vstrom soon after I got it. Oh yah, and parking on loose gravel adds to the excitment. :oops:
Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

One more thing I learned from the bicycle world: if you can't straddle it with both feet flat on the ground - it's too big (high) for you. Fortunately, I am of almost exactly average height so most bikes fit me pretty closely.

Not sure if this is the case with you, but I understand things a lot sooner than I actually learn them. Add in a scare, pain or other adrenaline inducing moment, and I learn a bit quicker. I'll be doing a little more thinking next time I park on the street.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I could flat foot the Vstrom from day one but a week after I got it I stopped on the side of the road at a view point. Gravel is no problem as long as your foot doesn't slide out from under you and you have no choice but to slowly drop it. OMG, my new baby is laying in gravel. I panicked and tried to lift it the wrong way. Got it up the second try but bruised my discs and spent seven weeks laying on my back gulping pain killers. Dropped it two more times since with crash bars. I don't mind letting Gravity win if I don't get hurt.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Good technique - right outta the book.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Or, you can ride a GZ.
OR you can be more careful NOT to park it nose down.....EVER!
Just another lesson learned the hard way. :poke2:

If you had gotten a "real" land cruiser, it would have reverse! :biggrin:
Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Haha, I had a similar issue today with my KZ. I can touch the ground with both feet, but not flat foot the bike. I got the bike inspected and when I was done I had to back out of the garage, over a hump from where they had repaved the parking lot. I just couldn't get enough leverage to push the bike up and over the ledge without getting off. It was kind of annoying, but so far its the only issue I've had regarding the seat height with the new bike.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Are there any "rules of thumb" re this? It seems kind of sketchy to not be able to straddle the bike, flat footed, when you are at rest. I think that was the recommnended stance for waiting at stop/traffic lights. Do you typically let it lean over to a favored side when you are waiting to go?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Rule of thumb. When stopped have right foot on rear brake and left foot on the ground. Also be in 1st gear and ready for a quick get away if some one tries to bump you. The bike will be more stable with the rear brake on instead of the front. It less likely to drop if so much as a bicycle hits you.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The bike will be more stable with the rear brake on instead of the front. It less likely to drop if so much as a bicycle hits you.
:plus1: