Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
My First Scary Moment

Hello Everyone,
Here to share my first scary moment with you all. If I bore you or you're just not interested....feel free to move on. LOL. Anyway, I was on my way to work at 7:05 this morning (on the yamaha...like to switch them out) and I came to a stop sign to turn right. A black truck pulled up beside me and I ASSumed he was turning left. Well, I begin to pull out and he turns right...going around me!!! I blew my horn and gave him the international sign...
I caught up to him at the next light and he began to follow me. He kept very close to me which freaked me out! As I came to the famous "s" curve near my work he was right on my ass. I wanted to slow down in the turn like I always do, but he was on my ass! Have I mentioned that already??? Anyway....I took the turn way too fast and headed for the ditch. I didnt want to apply the brakes in the turn so I just released the accelerator and prayed! I left the road and traveled in the grass for about 10 ft. then slowly moved back onto the road at a slower rate of speed. I have no idea how I managed not to hit the ditch just off the grassy area I was on OR catch the tire on the road as I re-entered....BUT, all I do know is I made it out without a scratch! All I can say is thank God, Buddha, Allah, Mary Poopins....whoever kept me from eating dirt and grass and rocks...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
mr. softie

Re: My First Scary Moment

Thank goodness you are ok! People are morons. What was he trying to prove anyway, how big an ass he was? I get the same thing, usually it is a moron in a huge shiny pickup or suv.

If possible slow a bit as that will slow them down as well... you are controlling them. Refuse to be intimidated. Remain aloof and calm but vigilant and unattached to their actions. It is not personal, they are just ignorant. Note their activity go on. Flipping them off is not recommended. Some of these dimwits view the bird as a challenge to their questionable manhood and lose what little perspective they might still have. We don't want to upset the little pukes, do we?

Ride safe sugar!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I understand the appeal of the finger, but just remember, if the truck was huge, lifted and had tires wider than the body, the owner may have been suffering from the heartbreak of micro-penis. This is a condition that makes 'em permanently angry at everyone, expecially women that flip them off.

Or, he might have had tinyballs, which is worse, especially once it reaches the brain.

To reiterate, it's not nice to make fun of the disabled.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Alan, I have to remember never to flip you off. :biggrin:
Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I drive a '98 Camry. Silver. The 4 cylinder model. A regular chick magnet.

I had one of these lifted 4x4 Monster Truck Off-Road-But-Not-Reallys on my ass on Saturday cause I wasn't going fast enough (50+) to suit him on a one lane twisty with no shoulder. I think you have to divide by the number halogen fog lights mounted on the roll bars to measure what's missing.

Soon as it was possible, I pulled over and let 'im go by. No matter what size your equipment is, you can't use it if you're paralyzed from the neck down.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom

I know flipping him off was wrong! It just made me so mad I forgot what I was driving to work. I have learned to just ignore them and go about my business....if im driving too slow, they can go around me. If they
re riding my ass...i just need to focus on the road and not them!
Thanks for the comments
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Sarris

In the past, I've been known to get off the bike at a red light, walk back and tell the cager behind me that if wanted to ride my ass, I'd loan him a saddle. Florida passed a gun law a few years back allowing legal gun owners to use deadly force if they feel threatened anywhere. The old law only allowed the use of deadly force in protection of you or your family within your home (IE, you had to drag the body into your house to make the shooting legal), so I don't walk up to vehicles anymore as the driver could be armed.

Since I finally have no points on my license, I generally don't speed and ride at about 5 mph or less over the speed limit. A lot of cages like to drive considerably faster than that, so I just pull over and wave them by. I don't let them piss me off or ruin my ride. Anything else is normally a lose, lose for the biker.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscosmom
Hello Everyone,
Here to share my first scary moment with you all. If I bore you or you're just not interested....feel free to move on. LOL. Anyway, I was on my way to work at 7:05 this morning (on the yamaha...like to switch them out) and I came to a stop sign to turn right. A black truck pulled up beside me and I ASSumed he was turning left. Well, I begin to pull out and he turns right...going around me!!! I blew my horn and gave him the international sign...
I caught up to him at the next light and he began to follow me. He kept very close to me which freaked me out! As I came to the famous "s" curve near my work he was right on my ass. I wanted to slow down in the turn like I always do, but he was on my ass! Have I mentioned that already??? Anyway....I took the turn way too fast and headed for the ditch. I didnt want to apply the brakes in the turn so I just released the accelerator and prayed! I left the road and traveled in the grass for about 10 ft. then slowly moved back onto the road at a slower rate of speed. I have no idea how I managed not to hit the ditch just off the grassy area I was on OR catch the tire on the road as I re-entered....BUT, all I do know is I made it out without a scratch! All I can say is thank God, Buddha, Allah, Mary Poopins....whoever kept me from eating dirt and grass and rocks...
Wow that is scary. Some cagers just take whatever space they want. Good for you being able to keep upright in the grass and recovering without falling. But may I make a suggestion to you and everyone else. Next time don't get back in front of the idiot. He/she was in a hurry and you are getting in their way. Once they are ahead of you they are some one else's problem and no longer endanger you.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
rusty rider

Street tires and grass don't mix! Glad you were able to ride throught that mess.

I too have had the occasion to fly the "you are number one" to stupid people. Being small of stature that has caused me grief on more than one occasion, but I can't help it.

I don't know what it is, but I find people feel the need to antagonize (sic?) motorcycle riders. Especially those that are dressed normally, and wearing helmets.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
baxman

I also live in FL and have a CCW. I suggest all riders get one and get nice little carry piece for just such occasions. The LCP 380 fits nicely in my breast pocket of my jacket.

The law you are speeking about Sarris is named the "castle law" which yes now extends to vehicles.