Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Rionna

Oops battery is dead

Hi All,
I stopped to visit & left the keys in the ignition & now the battery is dead. Will it recharge if I let it sit? It's has 577 miles on it so it's relatively new. Any suggestions? I'm stranded. Thanks in advance. O_o

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Oops battery is dead

push start the bike.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Rionna

Thanks Geezer. It actually started after 40 minutes of sitting still. Lesson learned for sure about not getting distracted when I reach a destination. I did not want to leave my bike there. I remember reading in one of the forums about push starting, but I am not clear how that works. Can tell me how I would do that for future reference. Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
geezer

oh you mean for next time you drain our battery? :neener: yeah sure, ever seen people pushing a vehicle in a parking lot, there all back there pushing on the bumper and the driver is yellin "faster faster" then all the sudden the driver releases the clutch and the vehicle suddenly starts? usually we do this if the starter has gone bad, or when your battery dies on the bike. this same principal applies for the bike as it did for the car. what you do is either get to where you can roll down a hill and get to around 10 mph then withthe bike already in gear with the clutch lever pulled in and the bikes key in the ON position kickstand up kil switch on and the bike in gear, then you release the clutch lever and the rotation of the rear tire moves the engine and she comes roaring to life, why dont you just go to youtube and look it up? this is a very important skill to know. because you never know what can happen
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
alantf

You left the keys in the ignition? Didyou, by any chance, turn the key Fully left? If you did, that explains the battery going dead. Full left is the "park with tail light lit" position. Normal park is one click less.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
mrlmd1

You should probably put the battery on a charger and get it fully charged back up. Unless you go for a really long ride, the GZ's puny charging system will take forever to fully bring the battery up to full charge, and if you go for a couple of short rides, the juice used in starting may be more than you're putting back in, and you could get stuck again.
The battery recovered a little and luckily you had enough capacity left to restart the bike, it did not "recharge" while it was sitting there. Yo got lucky that time.
Be aware of the OFF position and the Park position of the key switch - look at it, look at the owner's manual, and take the key with you when you park unless you feel like calling the insurance company about a missing bike. How heavy is a key to carry around?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Rionna

OK I appreciate all of the responses. They were very helpful and some were quite funny! I love a good laugh and you had me laughing at myself. Thanks Geezer, I will look at the video because you are right, I never know when I might need the skill of kick starting my bike. I don't plan on draining my battery through carelessness again! Alantf, no I didn't leave it in the parked position. I carelessly got off the bike, left the key in the ignition in the on position. Duh! I know not very bright. Mrlmd is right the key is not heavy at all, I just didn't have my head in the game, which is dangerous. I will recharge the battery so that it will be fully charged. Again, I appreciate all of you guys for your input and advice. I'm sure I'll have many more scenarios that will cause you to shake your head in disbelief going forward. I'm enjoying my GZ and riding solo now. I'm grateful that my GZ "the Beast" is so forgiving and merciful!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
geezer

the beast :rawk:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
the beast :rawk:
Yes, it's a "woman" thing. They seem to need to call inanimate objects by a name. It's on par with their need to reorganise furniture, cupboards & anything else that was fine, & didn't need reorganising in the first place. I bet she even cleans "the bike" sorry "the beast" That's another "woman" thing. :whistle: :crackup :2tup:

Glad I'm thousands of miles away! :lol:
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
geezer

true that !