Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
dannylightning

click when let out the clutch at low throttle

i just noticed this this clicking this morning when i was just putting around on the bike, i always gave it a good amount of throttle before. my chain is a little on the loose side, probably over a inch to a inch and a half of play. could it just be the chain catching and making a click, i notice in this video when i hit first gear the chain jerks. I'm gonna tension the chain today or tomorrow, its gonna be a rainy weekend so i probably wont get to ride again till Monday..

this seems to only happen when I'm up shifting and only when i barley give it any throttle while letting out the clutch.. if i give it more throttle no click, the clicking sounds almost exactly like the little click you get when you tap the gear shifter with your foot going in to second

the clutch grabs like it should no slipping.

[youtube:fefxvsya]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCOjckjmK0[/youtube:fefxvsya]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: click when let out the clutch at low throttle

First gear clicks when you shift into it sometimes. What do you mean "i always gave it a good amount of throttle before"?

The chain doesn't "catch", it's position is fixed by the teeth on the sprockets. When you engaged first gear the sprocket rotated ever so slightly, moving the chain. Your chain does seem a little too loose, make sure you read the manual on line here so you know how to do that instead of just turning screws.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
could it just be the chain catching and making a click,
Yes. Good place to start.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
adrianinflorida

That's an a large degree of chain play, better tighten that up soon. The click sounds like the slack in the chain being taken up, or slack in the direline pulling tight when the clutch engages, IMO.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
First gear clicks when you shift into it sometimes. What do you mean "i always gave it a good amount of throttle before"?

The chain doesn't "catch", it's position is fixed by the teeth on the sprockets. When you engaged first gear the sprocket rotated ever so slightly, moving the chain. Your chain does seem a little too loose, make sure you read the manual on line here so you know how to do that instead of just turning screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1

i guess i should have said catching the slack in the chain and making a click. i know its not likley

well i tensioned the chain so that's all good now, back to the click

what i mean is if i disengage the clutch, up shift to a another gear (normal click) than engage the clutch while only giving it enough throttle to keep the bike moving at the speed it is already going (sometimes i get click again that sounds just like the normal click when you shift gears)..... if i do that same exact process but give it enough throttle to speed up i have never heard a second click..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
direline , IMO.

what is that, sorry but i have no idea
Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
direline , IMO.
what is that, sorry but i have no idea
Typo maybe? Driveline ?

Anyhow, the "click" you notice is something in the chain/sprockets.

It is probably normal but could mean that one of the sprockets is loose or that your chain AND sprockets are badly worn.

I suspect that you are not QUITE giving it enough throttle to keep up the speed and it is just the normal slack in the chain and sprockets.

Give the driveline a good inspection and then don't worry about it.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
dannylightning

ill check to see of the sprockets are tight, they look to be in great shape only 3k miles there shouldent be much wear, but i will check to see if they are tight and take another good look at them in a few minutes here.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
5th_bike

It could also be a little play in the damper (an 8-rubber-blocks-thingie in your rear wheel, as a buffer between the wheel and the rear sprocket). You can probably rotate the rear sprocket a few mm with the wheel not moving. If you have it, nothing to worry about, but you shouldn't have excessive play in the damper.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
dannylightning

well the rear sprocket is tight checked the bolts and couldn't tighten them one bit more than they already were, the front one you must need one hell of a wrench to get it off or tighten it both the sprockets look good, ill check out the damper (thingie) tomorrow but the click seemed to come more from the front near the motor on same side as the gear shifter.

quick question about the rear axle nuts after tensioning the chain, it says you want about 50 lbs of torque Correct, i got them quite tight with a half inch drive. it was getting hard to tighten the bolt much more and at that point the nut was almost lined up perfect with the cotter pin hole and i had to give it just a little more and perfect. if i had to guess i would say it was at least 50 lbs or torque if not more, i'm pretty damn strong. i wouldn't really want to tighten it any more

does that sound about right, don't want my wheel falling off, so you guys that do this with out a torque wrench do you just crank it down as much as possible. couldn't get the torque wrench on there with out removing the muffler, had to loosen it from the hanger to get a socket on there