Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Zdoes

Z n' Me (story and looking for parts)

So I'm new to ridin', GZ 250's, and forums. I bought Z (2000 GZ 250 w/ 7000miles) in August 2010 and it was my first motorcycle ever. The following month I left my job in PA and I rode out across USA, just Z n' me. Of course, I had the service manual with me and there were several fixes along the way. I rode for 2 months and put 9,553 miles on the bike. This bike handles amazingly, had great mileage (even with my loaded saddlebags + my 6000 cu. in. pack it was getting 65mpg), and I was even able to get it up to 85mph (going downhill, w/ wind in AZ). But sadly, it died on me...only 30 minutes from my home!!

In TX I met a guy who had the gauges for the valve clearance. All of them were clear, except the left exhaust was a little tight. I decided not to adjust. Fast forward several weeks to the last day of riding, I start to hear some crazy noises but decided to forge ahead because I was almost home. Catastrophic failure occurred, the valve hit the piston head, which bent it, broke it and drove it into the cylinder head. And everyone on this page knows our bikes are one and done...

I have joined this forum because I was hoping I could find some parts. I am looking for a cylinder head as well as a piston, or if that's too selective I will buy an engine off of someone.

Also, if anyone is interested to hear some stories or some great roads to check out across America hit me up. Some greats were Highway 129 (or "Tail of the Dragon"), Highway 50 through CO, and Road G from CO into UT (takes you past a BLM called Ancients Canyons) to name a few.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Z n' Me (story and looking for parts)

Welcome Zdoes. Another testament to the ability of the GZ to travel far. Also a reminder not to forget that valve adjustment.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
mole2

Welcome aboard from South Carolina! There is a complete engine on eBay for $499.95 located here. Then you can use what's good on yours for spare parts. Good luck with the repair.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
music man

This is also sadly a testament about how even though you can run the GZ like a pack mule forever, you can't run it like a racing bike for very long before it grenades on you. I am not saying that it wouldn't have done that anyways, but I am sure running it 85mph downhill fully packed down didn't help.

On a positive note, that is cool as hell that you got to jaunt across the U.S. on a bike, man that would be cool as hell. One day maybe............
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
This is also sadly a testament about how even though you can run the GZ like a pack mule forever, you can't run it like a racing bike for very long before it grenades on you. I am not saying that it wouldn't have done that anyways, but I am sure running it 85mph downhill fully packed down didn't help.
:plus1: At 85mph you would be very close to over revving.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Zdoes

Admittedly that was dumb...

Thanks for the heads up on the engine!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdoes
Admittedly that was dumb...

Thanks for the heads up on the engine!

I wouldn't go so far as to call it dumb, we are all guilty of having the lead foot (or in this case lead hand :lol: ) from time to time, its just the little Geezer can't take too much of that, especially when you are already pushing it hard on a cross country trek loaded down. :2tup:
Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Ted324

On average what speed did you ride the bike at?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Sounds like a quality adventure except for the ending. It always seems to me that it's easier to just find another GZ wth 7K on it than to go through the trouble of locating and swapping out an engine. Did you make it into California or did you turn around in New Mexico?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Zdoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted324
On average what speed did you ride the bike at?
I would say somewhere between 55-60 mph. I avoided all interstates (unless I was heading down into an urban area, or Iowa...soo much corn!). My goal was to find as many cool local roads as possible, while still heading in a somewhat direct route. This really took a long time to get anywhere, but it was a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Sounds like a quality adventure except for the ending. It always seems to me that it's easier to just find another GZ wth 7K on it than to go through the trouble of locating and swapping out an engine. Did you make it into California or did you turn around in New Mexico?
Actually I made it as far west as Oahu! I had a friend who was a park ranger in the Grand Canyon, so I left my bike with him and flew out there to visit my girlfriend at the time. But as far as riding goes, the Grand Canyon (AZ) was as far west as I got. Here are all the states I hit by bike:

PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, UT, AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, TN, NC, VA, & MD

Colorado was far and away THE BEST RIDING EVER!