Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Blackbird

My 2006 GZ mods ...

The current mods to my bike (Raven) are pretty much the same as everyone else. I thought some folks might be interested.
I did the K&N filter change along with the needle shim and main jet switch to 132.5. I have a 137 main jet and may switch to it down the road. I added the Emgo megaphone exhaust using the longer muffler. The bike really performs well now. I have the 16 tooth front sprocket and will get to it soon, but no real rush.
The MC engine guard added a bit of protection that I wanted, much better than the Suzuki version. The sissy bar is the Suzuki version that may change in the future.
The saddle bags are from Saddleman and seems like a great fit. The National Cycle windshield was a personal choice that I think works well, not everyone has it. I also added a bigger chrome horn that is a little louder but not too much.
The front fender guard is from Fehling and gives the GZ a totally different look.

Kuryakyn Dually pegs were added to the front and I think add a bit of comfort on the road.
Signal Dynamics Tri-Star XP Turn Signal to Brake Light/Turn Signal Converter was used to make the magic happen with the rear turn signal lights. I switched to clear lenses with red bulbs.

I don't think I left anything out. I have a couple of more changes to add in the future and will post them at that time. So this is what Raven looks like now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: My 2006 GZ mods ...

Looks great, New pegs are next on my list. What adapter did you need for the Kuryakyn Dually pegs? Or do you simply buy a "Metric" style?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Blackbird

adrianinflorida ...
Quote:
Looks great, New pegs are next on my list. What adapter did you need for the Kuryakyn Dually pegs? Or do you simply buy a "Metric" style?
I bought the 8820 adapters for the Marauder 800. The Dually pegs will be without adapters of course. I'm pretty sure they were the 7963 Dually. Check before you order. The holes on the bike will need to be opened up a little by drilling. The treads on the supplied bolts get caught in the GZ's foot peg hole and I did not want to strip them so I just slightly enlarged the holes. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
adrianinflorida

Thanks, that'll help.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
The current mods to my bike (Raven) are pretty much the same as everyone else. I thought some folks might be interested.
I did the K&N filter change along with the needle shim and main jet switch to 132.5. I have a 137 main jet and may switch to it down the road. I added the Emgo megaphone exhaust using the longer muffler. The bike really performs well now. I have the 16 tooth front sprocket and will get to it soon, but no real rush.
How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!
A little clarification might be in order. Are you climbing those mountains in 4th NOW, with the stock gearing? If so, the 16T would definitely help get you a little more speed from 4th.

If, OTOH, you are runnning the hills in 5th now, then forget the 16T; there is NO WAY you will maintain 65 up a steep hill in 5th with the 16T.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Blackbird

Goose ...
Quote:
How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!
Perhaps I should clarify that I don't have the 16 tooth sprocket on yet. I bought it, but have not installed it yet. I do use 5th through the hills and it pulls up them well at 55 to 60. I'm not sure how heavy you are but I'm sure that would come into play. I am anxious to try the 16 tooth gear and will get to it sooner or later. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
OC Hoosier

Where did you pick up your main jets? Do you feel the 137 would out perform the 132.5?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Hoosier
Where did you pick up your main jets? Do you feel the 137 would out perform the 132.5?
I got them at the local Suzuki shop. They are cheap, that is why I got the 132.5 and 137. It's a crap shoot as to which will be better. Each are less than $2. Cheap experiment.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Blackbird

Got a chance to finally install the 16 tooth front sprocket. What a difference! If you want an exciting change for your GZ this is it and it's cheap.