Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Tonckawa

Oil Change difference after 300 miles

I changed my oil after only 300 miles and you can see from the picture below the difference. I will be changing it again at 600 miles and again at 1000 and THEN I will start using Synthetic Gastrol GTX 10W-40.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Oil Change difference after 300 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonckawa
I changed my oil after only 300 miles and you can see from the picture below the difference. I will be changing it again at 600 miles and again at 1000 and THEN I will start using Synthetic Gastrol GTX 10W-40.
[I shouldn't have to preface this but, apparently, some people on here are overly sensitive......]

I am not trying to critisize anything you said. This is just a calm and friendly question.

What "difference" are we supposed to notice from the picture? One filter has oil on it and the other doesn't.

I think your oil change plan is just fine. Piece of mind is.......priceless.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
CMS

Oil change

I did the first change at 100 miles the next at 300 milles and the last at the 600 mile mark also valves. I'm going to put a few more miles on beore I switch to synthetic oil. Just my thoughts, it may or may not hurt a thing but I'm going to wait a little longer before switching. CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953

Old 06-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I've read about concerns about seals not seating properly due to using synthetic oil before the break-in period is over. Just to be safe, I always wait until 1000 miles or so before going to synthetic. I don't know if these fears are even substantiated, but you can never be too safe.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Tonckawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
[I shouldn't have to preface this but, apparently, some people on here are overly sensitive......]

I am not trying to critisize anything you said. This is just a calm and friendly question.

What "difference" are we supposed to notice from the picture? One filter has oil on it and the other doesn't.

I think your oil change plan is just fine. Piece of mind is.......priceless.
If you look close enough at the used filter, you will see metal shavings and I am not a hard driver or a haul-ass rider. I drive nice and easy. This picture tells me to change oil more often when breaking in. The oil in the pan looked darker to me than I would have expected from only 300 miles of easy-going driving.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
If you look close enough at the used filter, you will see metal shavings........... The oil in the pan looked darker to me than I would have expected from only 300 miles of easy-going driving.
I'll take your word for it. Need to be a LOT closer with the picture to be able to pick out the shavings, for me anyway.

Color is really not a good yardstick for oil "wear". Some good oils will start to darken after only a few hot/cold cycles and others take a thousand miles or so before they darken noticeably.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Badbob

The oil is supposed to get dark.

If you do a little research I think you will find a few metal shavings on the filter of a new engine is not unusual.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
5th_bike

When I got my bike it was two years old and had 35 miles on it.
So after driving it home, I changed oil and filter at 58 miles, and there were metal shavings in the filter.
I changed oil and filter again at 1100 miles, and the filter had no visible metal shavings in it.
So the metal shavings seem to be just something from the very first miles that the bike makes.
I will change oil again at 3000 miles.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

...or the shavings may be left over from the milling process and the first few miles of riding flushes them through the system and they get caught in the filter, which is where they should be.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
hippybilly

Oil Change Difference After 300 Miles

You can look in oil pans, filters, rear ends, front ends, manual trannys and transfer cases on most new rides with any number of wheels on them and there will be shavings in all of them. It's from the milling process and things being new. I use to put magnets on steel oil pans and sich to help keep them at the bottom. Nothing to worry about. It's just a matter of changing fluids and filters and they'll go away. If they come back thousands of miles down the road, that's when it's time to worry. If oil didn't turn dark it wouldn't be doing it's job. :rawk: