Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
motorcycle shops

will only motorcycle-specific shops work on motorcycles? meaning, will jiffy lube change my bike's oil? or do i need to find a shop that specializes in motorcycles?

i would assume a general auto shop wouldn't have anywhere near the expertise or know-how that a specialized shop would, and i would hesitate to take my bike there, but is it even possible?

on that note, do most auto parts stores carry motorcycle parts? or at least maintenance stuff like fluids/oil filters?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Jiffy Lube and their competiters are set up to service cages. You can do your own oil/filter changes with a little help from the forum members. Learn to dig into your bike a bit and gain some experience and knowledge. Get a buddy to walk you through the first time if possible. Filters and oil can usually be ordered from a auto parts store, same for air filters. Or find a small local bike shop who will do the work for you. It need not be a Zuk dealer just for regular servicing but it might help. Our local Yamaha dealer stocks both oil filters for our bikes and oil comes from Canadian Tire. The GZ was taken to a Zuk dealer for a valve check/adjust. I had heard mostly good reports about them.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
It may be intimidating at first, but go up to some V-twin guys hanging out at a custom shop, or liquor store, or heck, even a bar and ask them for some advice. They're usually way friendlier than they look and are more than willing to talk through, or even walk you through some light maintenance work. I ran into some guys at a local liquor store (conveniently beside a VTwin shop) and just asked them a few questions about the fuel tank and oil and the chain lube. Stuff I knew already, but just gaging the knowledge level at first.

They were more than helpful and I chat with them on occasion when I'm in buying some liquid courage and talking about bikes.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Re: motorcycle shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
will only motorcycle-specific shops work on motorcycles?
Yes. And "auto parts stores" are just that. You won't be able to get bike parts there unless you have a bigger bike that just happens to use the same oil filter as some car.

If you had a bigger, more popular bike, it wouldn't hurt to ask but for a GZ.......no chance.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Places like Jiffy Lube, as stated, generally, only work on cars. Personally, I've never asked. Just call up the shop that you are thinking of and ask them.

That being said, I'd suggest, as stated by others, that you try changing it yourself. There is a write-up in the How-to section with photos and the corresponding conversations detail other's experiences with the process. It's really pretty simple. The messiest part is changing the oil filter, which isn't even all that messy if you prepare for it with some shop towels.

Warm up the engine - turn it off - drain the oil from the crankcase - replace the oil filter - refill with oil - crank it up and make sure it's all cozy - top up if needed.

Go here:
http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=566

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
will only motorcycle-specific shops work on motorcycles?
Yes. And "auto parts stores" are just that. You won't be able to get bike parts there unless you have a bigger bike that just happens to use the same oil filter as some car.

If you had a bigger, more popular bike, it wouldn't hurt to ask but for a GZ.......no chance.
I do try to smile when reading all posts but you tend to remove the smile with your "smarter than others attitude". Do you honestly believe the Gz uses a one of a kind oil filter ? Give your head a shake will ya. I can buy an oil filter for my neighbors snowmobile that fits and neither has a Suzuki name on it. I can buy the filter at a bike shop, snowmobile shop and an auto parts store. I can also order the filter at Canadian tire or Wally world. Just sayin............

I will be happy to read your response when we get back from our road trip that starts early tomorrow morning. Til then :neener: :neener: :neener:
Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I do try to smile when reading all posts but you tend to remove the smile with your "smarter than others attitude".
What the hell? Find somebody else to kick around.
I'm taking a vacation from this.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
hey, no fighting in my thread!

i change the oil in my car and i plan on changing it in my bike, i just wanted to know if auto shops generally would know anything about bikes.

so it's unlikely i'd find the oil filter i need at a Schucks? maybe i should start looking around for bike shops...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If not, you can always order them online for like $4.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
I just got a couple of these filters. $2 a pop isn't bad, and BB has fairly cheap shipping charges.

http://www.bikebandit.com/search-pro...3420&ch=2&sc=9