Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
ArizonaKev

What the hell....???

Ok people - this crap isn't funny :

http://www.azfamily.com/weather/At-leas ... 14284.html

I NEVER wanted to hear about another tornado touching down, not even one 150 miles away, after I left South Dakota. Now, we get a couple of them up by Flagstaff...? There aren't supposed to be tornados down here - could someone please make sure Mother Nature got that memo??? :lol:

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: What the hell....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
Ok people - this crap isn't funny :
Not wanting to start a "political" arguement here but try to remember that the next time someone tries to tell you that Global Climate Change is a myth. :roll:
Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Viirin

Quote:
could someone please make sure Mother Nature got that memo?
I'll have a word...

Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
ArizonaKev

Easy - no worries, and I totally agree. For those who got all butt-hurt about the "global warming" concept and argued against it, I think they would be hard pressed to argue that there isn't some MAJOR climate change going on. Personally, I have been following that stuff, from the viewpoint of a scientist, for years, and there never was a doubt in my mind about it.

Now, it seems like every day there is something else in the news that makes me go "what the...?" Just like LA hitting 113 degrees last week - the hottest temperature ever there in recorded history. Yeah, that's not strange at all... Things are definitely changing. It's just too bad that, for stupid political and economic reasons, the truth has been besmirched for so long. I'm afraid that the time to have actually been able to do something about this has long since passed. But hey, what can we do, right? Like my Grandpa used to say, "make hay while the sun still shines" : )

AZ Kev
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
BusyWeb

I heard a news today about Europe and Russia's this winter weather.
They are going to have lowest temperature in 1000 years ??? (how do they know 1000 years old weather.. ha ha ha)
The problem is that there were not much warm oceanic water flow into from south which they have found.
Because of the summer warm temp and too much glacier melt down which prevented the ocean's water flow.
And then, this will cause the whole northern hemisphere temperature cooling... ???
Their gov. are already getting started preparation for this winter weather !!!

Anyway, I've never had experienced the rainy days in the early October here Los Angeles area for decades...
All this week, we have had rainy days...

Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
burkbuilds

As Mark Twain pointed out many years ago, "If you don't like the weather we are having, hang around, it will change." Well guys, the question is not, "Is the climate changing?" Sure it is, it always has been, we go through hot and cold spells about every 15 years, just pull up weather channel record highs and lows and you can see the patterns for the last hundred or so years. The question should be, "Is this caused by humans and if so, can humans do anything to control the changes, and if so, what should they do?" Not sure about that one, I mean, the last ice age came without any human intervention, and so did the last tropical period when ferns were growing up around the Poles (North and South, not Poland). I'm all for reducing our damage to the environment, less pollution, more efficiency in every aspect of our lives and less waste, but it does seem like politicians are just trying to gain more control over the masses and make a load of money at the same time when it comes to promoting the "humans are causing climate change and we can save the world with carbon credits, crap." Just my opinion though, I'm not a scientist, just a moron that needs the governments of the world to look out for my best interest.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Well said BB. I also think this is just a very long term cycle the Earth goes through periodically and we will just have to survive as best we can. The Human Race may accelerate the cycle somewhat but it would come no matter what. In a worst case scenario the planet will be unliveable but by then we will be out in the stars and living on other planets. Our descendants are in for a lot of adventure.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
3-D Video

Quote:
I NEVER wanted to hear about another tornado touching down, not even one 150 miles away, after I left South Dakota. Now, we get a couple of them up by Flagstaff...? There aren't supposed to be tornados down here
Awhile back, I was helping a friend drop a mast into his boat. We'd tied up to a much larger boat and lifted the mast using this other boats' halyard. This was in Richardson Bay, north of San Francisco between Sausalito and Tiburon. It was blowing pretty hard so we were tied to the lee side and didn't get much weather. Then the sky turned weird… like the underside of grey bubbles… something I'd never seen before, and then the wind dropped. Suddenly we were slammed by a strong wind coming off our beam. The wind had reversed direction.
Next day I read in the paper that some lady in Novato… not too many miles north of where we were… had her barn destroyed that day by a tornado. She'd moved from the midwest two years earlier and bought the farm because of her fear of tornados. We just don't get tornados in the S.F. Bay Area. Doesn't happen. Period.
So, here's my theory: Like Li'l Abners' Joe Btfsplk, bad weather will find you where ever you go. See, the problem isn't one of "global warming", it's all due to global mobility
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
dhgeyer

When I was a kid in school, we were all taught that indisputable scientific evidence had been collected which indicated we were going to go through another ice age in our lifetime. Maybe the global warming saved us from that. Or maybe the scientists suffer from serious hubris, and their models are fundamentally incomplete. Not all climate scientists agree on this issue, by the way. The media portray this as settled science, and muzzle those scientists who disagree. The media have their agenda.

I agree with BB. One thing that is constant is change. We will adapt, or we will die off. I have no idea what, if any, significant effect greenhouse gasses have on climate change. I'm pretty sure no one does, despite increasingly hysterical claims to the contrary. The human race has flourished, benefiting from an extended period of relative climatic stability. We have come to think of this stability as the norm. It is not.

Just my $.02.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
ArizonaKev

I agree with everyone's general sentiments : the only constant in the universe, and our planet, is change. And if there is one thing the human race is designed for, it is adaptability.

However (and please note - this is NOT to start some flame war), as someone who has studied this issue for decades, I do think it is important to point out truths and untruths wherever they may be. For that reason, perhaps this will be an enlightening read for some :

"New study finds striking level of agreement among climate experts on anthropogenic climate change"
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2010 ... te-change/

Now of course, the argument could be made that this research was funded by people with vested interests in green technologies, or government agencies wanting to benefit from carbon credits, or disciples of the Al Gore propaganda machine, and so on and so on. The fact is, the only facts that people believe are the ones they choose to, or ones that can be outright proven to them. I guess it just gets me when people say "even the scientists don't agree about it", when in reality, 98% of them do. And getting 98% of any group of people to agree on ANYTHING is quite rare indeed.

So is the climate changing? I think so. Do humans possibly have something to do with it? I think so. Are there people who completely disagree? I think so. And in the end, does it matter that we might disagree about it? I think not. We are all going to go on with our lives, regardless of what happens. For me, it is more about developing the consciousness that what we do, as a race, has greater impacts than just those we can see on a day to day basis. And if we don't start understanding that, collectively, we are going to run into some real trouble in the future - trouble that may have have nothing to do with this topic.

Now, I will close with my Forrest Gump signature - "That's all I have to say about that!"