Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
alantf

brake pads

Does anyone else seem to get such a short life on the front disc pads as I do? Now ...... I live in the mountains, so EVERY ride starts with a 3 or 4 mile run down the mountain, with a 50 km/hr (30 mph) limit, so I have to use the brakes. (a coupla months ago I got a €100 ($140) ticket for going 6 mph over the limit!)

The factory pads gave me 1984 miles, the first change 2863 miles, then 1365 miles. This set's done 1798 & I've got to get them swapped tomorrow as they've started to grate, today. All the bike shop guy can say is that they're soft pads, to give more stopping power - but it still seems a short life!

Anyone else live in the mountains, to give me an idea of what you get? Or, what does everyone else get? :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
JWR

Re: brake pads

Mine were gone at 7,000 miles and I ride pretty hard.

Have you tried staying in 3rd gear and use the engine more?
If the road is that steep....2nd gear???

Without knowing the grade or traffic, I am only guessing.

There are different grades of pads, but what I have seen , hard pads are hard on the rotor.

Sorry, really no help to you.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Mine were gone at 7,000 miles and I ride pretty hard.

Have you tried staying in 3rd gear and use the engine more?
If the road is that steep....2nd gear???

Without knowing the grade or traffic, I am only guessing.

There are different grades of pads, but what I have seen , hard pads are hard on the rotor.

Sorry, really no help to you.
Yeah, really Steep hills. My engine braking is virtually non existant on such steep hills!. As for "different grade pads", over here it's a case of taking what they have on the shelf - & that's one grade only. there's not much traffic, but (like I said) what traffic there is, is unmarked Trafico cars with radar, waiting to add even more to the government's coffers! $140 for 6 mph really stinks.

The brake swap will cost me the equivalent of $49. That breaks down as $42 for the pads & $7 for fitting. Labour is so cheap here that I usually let them fit them. It only takes them 10 minutes, while I go for a coffee.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
music man

You can get brake pads put on your bike for 7 bucks, holy crap. At my local Suzuki shop it would probably cost you 30 dollars, minimum.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
You can get brake pads put on your bike for 7 bucks, holy crap. At my local Suzuki shop it would probably cost you 30 dollars, minimum.
Just had them done (while I waited)

Pads € 29.95
labour € 5.00
tax € 1.75

total € 36.70 ($ 53.36)

Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
diffluere

My local shop wanted 28 for the pads and 8 bucks to put them on. Unfortunately, the previous owner overtightened the bolt that holds on the front pads, so a new one has to be ordered and the old one drilled out. The bolt I think is going to be another 8 bucks or so. Cheap labor here too I guess.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
burkbuilds

I bought my pads off of e-bay and I chose ones with Kevlar in them. I got about 7,000 miles out of the Kevlar ones and about 5,000 out of the original factory pads. The Kevlar pads were less than $20 on e-bay. I've read a post on here where someone said not to use pads from e-bay sellers because they weren't the right size, but I didn't have any problem with the ones I got and they held up a little longer than the factory pads, plus they were less expensive than buying OEM pads from my local dealer. By the way, changing the pads on a GZ is EXTREMELY easy to do yourself IF you are an average wrench monkey and have a few simple tools available to use. I'd bet there is a thread on here somewhere that tells (and probably shows picturess) you how to do it, or just follow the directions in the manual. Unless the rotor needs turning or replacing it's about a 10 minutes or less job. However, if I could get it done by a shop for $10 or less while I waited I'd probably do that just to keep from having to clean up afterwards.