Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Canuck

Synthetic Oil Change Timeline

Hey all,
Getting ready to do the fall oil change on the bike.

I had synthetic oil in it for the last 10,000 kms and i know that regular oil should be changed up every 5000 kms.
I was told at the shop that i could ride double the length of regular oil..especially in the GZ

Just curious if anyone else has heard the same thing..

thanks ahead!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: Synthetic Oil Change Timeline

Well, yes and no. Synthetic oil will last a lot longer in terms of breaking down and losing its basic ability to lubricate. So that part is true. I've never heard double the change interval. What I've usually heard or read is 5000 miles if the usual oil change interval is 3000.

The other side of the issue is that acidic products of combustion build up in engine oil. Also, products of engine wear that are fine enough to get through the filter are still in the oil. This is no less true of synthetic oil than it is of petro oil.

So, some of us change the oil at the shorter interval regardless of the oil used. If I run synthetic, or a semi-synthetic blend I'll do it for other reasons.

For my money, frequent oil and filter changes are the single best and easiest thing you can do to keep your engine smiling for as long as possible.

Oh boy! An oil thread. Everyone will have an opinion on this one. Play nice now.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
bonehead

I'm not going to get started on synthetic crap. That's why we live in the U.S.A., you have the freedom to choose.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
I'm not going to get started on synthetic crap. That's why we live in the U.S.A., you have the freedom to choose.
Um, bonehead, um, er, um, Canuck - you know, like resident of Canada.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Well I'm not afraid of oil threads. Always ready and willing to tell folks the best way to spill used oil all over the floor. LOL. First, I am wondering, was this at a bike shop where you got the oil and x2 mileage info ?? And what breed of oil ??

Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Synthetic oils usually can be used for longer periods of time. But, there are so many factors that come into play in the health of an engine and the type and quality of synthetic oil that you use that simply making a statement like "You can use it 2 times longer than regular oil, by God." just doesn't hold much water.

To actually KNOW if you can go longer between oil changes, you need to have a company test your used oil for particulates and metal composition and then follow their recommendations. It's possible that your dino oil isn't even worn out when you change it. You never really KNOW until you get some science behind it.

That's why the old addage that you should change your car oil every 3,000 miles is considered a conservative estimate by most motorheads. The 3,000 mile oil life is on the safe side. The 5,000 mile lifespan is probably more accurate. But, again, no one will ever really KNOW until their individual used motor oil is tested.

To answer your question; YES. Synthetic oils can GENERALLY be considered safe to use for longer periods of time.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Hey, it only takes about a quart to change the oil, so why push it? Like dhgeyer said, the oil may not break down as quickly, but it still gets contaminants in it that can damage your engine and why would you want to leave that in there any "extra" time. I would recommend that you still change it at pretty much the regular intervals.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Um, bonehead, um, er, um, Canuck - you know, like resident of Canada.
Blanket statement, everyone in the free world has a right to choose, there, that's better.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you listen to the news long enough, you might take on the belief that "FREEDOM" is only an American thing.

I'd go as far as saying that anyone, anywhere has the right to choose. I lived in a monarchy for 6 months and had freedom of choice everyday that I was there.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
bonehead

Hell, I've lived in a monarchy for the past 20 years. My WIFE lets me know what I can or cannot do......LOL