Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
bjrscj

First Tires

I know there is a lot on tires in this forum, and I've gleaned some great information. However, there are a few things I'm still unsure of and would appreciate some help.

1. I've gathered that my 2003 model has front tires of 110/90-16, and rear at 130/90-15. However, the link I followed from the forum website didn't list a year, so I'm only assuming that these tire sizes would be the same for all years. Is that correct?

2. I found a link on the forum to motorcycle superstore, which seems to be a great idea. However, as I look at the cheaper tires, I'm seeing that none of them are tubed. I haven't found more expensive brands that are tubed either. My impression from reading other posts is that the tires on the GZ are tubed, so I would assume I need tubed tires. Can anyone confirm this?

3. If I do need tubed tires, can anyone recommend a brand? I know cheap isn't necessarily good, but I got the bike to save money on gas (which it has been GREAT for), but I don't want to shell out $300 every two to three months (I rode 3k miles in the last 7 weeks since I got the bike - long commute). If you can recommend any tire that has a good trade off between value and quality, I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to use motorcycle superstore (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/ ... 0-24-1-1-1), since it would be convenient for shipping my tires to the dealer, so if you already buy your tires from there and can send a link, that would be awesome.

4. How much mileage do you expect an average rider to get out of a front/rear tire?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
blaine

Re: First Tires

Yes,the tire sizes are the same for all years.A lot of us use the 100/90-16 on the front as the 110 can be hard to get.I have been using tubes in tubeless tires for years,and never a problem.I always had good luck with Kenda Kruzers & Challengers.They are reasonable priced & long wearing.I have got 20,000 KM out of a rear tire,and more out of a front tire.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/ ... Tires.aspx
:cool:

Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
bjrscj

Thanks. I guess my other question would then be do I need to buy tubes separately, or how does that work?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Gz Rider

Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Tires generally do not come with their own tubes. The tire maker doesn't know which tires are going to used on spoked wheels and which ones aren't. You will need to buy tubes separately.

I don't have a particular brand. If they are made by a major manufacturer, they will be fine.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
Thanks. I guess my other question would then be do I need to buy tubes separately, or how does that work?
Yes,you need to buy tubes separately.They should be replaced with the tire..
:2tup:

Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
bjrscj

Looking at the manual, I don't see specifications for a recommended tube - but I did find a chart from an independent site that matches up tire size to tubes. Should I just go with that? (http://www.tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tubes.htm). Also, I'm assuming the dealer can put the tubes in, right?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Gz Rider