Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
SovietAdmin

Question about Oil...

I'm planning on getting a gz250, and with any vehicle I purchase, I tend to overspend on the maintenance side to ensure long life of the vehicle, along with optimal performance.

Basically, I'm planning on getting this oil: http://www.gopurepower.com/store/sublis ... 2F12Quarts

And was wondering if anyone has used it, or would recommend against it?

And yeah, I'm getting their oil filter, don't bother talking me out of it.....

Somewhat off topic, but I've hears stories of factory tightening not being sufficient, and people getting wobble/tank slap/missing front/back wheel while riding... Anyone hear of this? (I've been told to just go once over on all fastenings to ensure they are tight)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Question about Oil...

While you can certainly buy whatever you want, and I will never try to talk you out of it, $13 a quart is a little excessive and you certainly will be overspending, a lot, for whatever you think you are getting extra of. For example, you can get a whole gallon of synthetic Shell Rotella T for $20 which is excellent stuff, but you get what you want.
You can use any oil designed for a wet clutch motorcycle, that is, one that does not have "friction modifiers" in it, which will mess up the clutch and make it slip. Do a search on here for oil threads and all your questions and concerns will be answered.

It's always a good idea to go over all the nuts and bolts periodically as routine maintenance, and especially if you buy a used bike, or even a new one, and make a schedule to keep doing that. Things loosen up with vibration and bumps on the road.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
alantf

It's always the ones you miss that give you trouble. For instance, I never even thought about tightening the bolts holding the saddle lock to the side panel - until the day I wanted to unlock the saddle, and found that the lock was swinging around inside the side panel, where I couldn't get to it. Took me ages to get the saddle off!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
SovietAdmin

Thanks for the feed back, I've heard good things about rotella, and will just go with that then I suppose. $20 of oil lasting me a full year would be nice, after all.

Also, Alantf, You made me lawl.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Both of our bikes, the Vstrom and the M -50 run with Dino Rotella 15-40. It's cheap and it works well. I am a big fan of Amsoil but the price in the GWN is enough to give you a stroke.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Don't believe the hype about motor oils. True, there are certainly some that are better than others. But there is no magic liquid that is just sooo much better than anything else that it should cost $20 per quart.

If it has a big name on it, it is good. Heck, if it has an unknown name, but the API seal, it is still pretty darn good.

Get something you know, and change it at a regular interval.
Oil filters are the same way.

A long lasting engine doesn't come from overspending on parts. It comes from keeping up with timely maintenance. If you want to over-spend, over-spend on time. Spend time with the bike... on it and under it.