Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Graydog

Leather tank bra/bib

I have always put a tank bra on the last several bikes I have owned. I tend to rest my helmet on the tank while I talk to other riders etc. After a few dull buffed spots and scratches & dull spots from gas drops I learned the protection the bra gives is well worth the price of a cheap tank bra. (Besides...black leather with silver/chrome studs just looks good on a bike.)

In the past I haven't had a problem finding one since I rode larger mainstream bikes (V-Star, Intruder, etc.) Based on my searches so far I suspect no one makes one for the Geezee. But it does have a large tank so I suspect there is one out there somewhere that will work with a little modification. Same goes for fender bibs. Any out there for other bikes that will actually fit a Geezee.

Anyone Know???

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Orpheus

Re: Leather tank bra/bib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydog
I have always put a tank bra on the last several bikes I have owned. I tend to rest my helmet on the tank while I talk to other riders etc. After a few dull buffed spots and scratches & dull spots from gas drops I learned the protection the bra gives is well worth the price of a cheap tank bra. (Besides...black leather with silver/chrome studs just looks good on a bike.)

In the past I haven't had a problem finding one since I rode larger mainstream bikes (V-Star, Intruder, etc.) Based on my searches so far I suspect no one makes one for the Geezee. But it does have a large tank so I suspect there is one out there somewhere that will work with a little modification. Same goes for fender bibs. Any out there for other bikes that will actually fit a Geezee.

Anyone Know???

Thanks
I actually saw a couple of leather/faux leather ones at a local shop that would probably work as I was looking around for hand grips; I meant to see if they'd fit and forgot to do it before I left. I'll go back there on Monday or Tuesday and check them out a little better and get back to you; I might buy one myself and you can see how it looks before you decide to get one. If I don't post here by Monday night, post something in this thread so I can see that there's an unread response and it'll remind me for Tuesday morning.
I'm assuming that a bike this size will have to use things that are made more for dirt bikes and such rather than specifically made for this bike; the shop I was in catered more to the dirt bike market. I'll let you know.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Sarris

Tank Chap & Fender Bib

I bought mine at http://www.chilhowee.net/. They show a listing for the Fender Bib, but not for the Tank Chap. You'll need to call them as I know that they have the pattern for it as I had to make it for them so they could make mine.

:rawk:

Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Graydog

Thanks, Orpheus. I'll watch for your post.

And thanks Sarris, If I can't find one I'll keep that in mind.

If all else fails I may make one myself using a rubber floor mat and add studs, lacing, fringe and backing. It works great to protect the tank.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Orpheus

No luck on the tank bibs that I saw; they're all way too long. The closest one I found was made for a Shadow and it was still so long that you'd need to cut holes in it to fit it (which is an option if you're still looking for one). The good thing is that the shop down the road has them for like $35 (rather than the $60-80 you'd pay most places), but trying to make one fit might ruin it. They were the really simple one-piece leather type ones, and you could probably find them cheaper on ebay.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Graydog

Making one now. Found some fake leather and already had the chrome studs. Taking pics as I go along as I hope to post a "how to". It can be done in about an hour except for the edge lacing which I am doing now. Takes forever if you don't have a leather punch.