Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Found a practical car for Water Warrior

One of my friends talked me into going to the LA Car show Friday. Not really my thing, but I did stumble across a practical little four wheeler for WW (he's been thinking about hanging up his saddle...)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Found a practical car for Water Warrior

Thanks but no thanks Alan. Nice looking but not my style. I need more function than form in my cages. And I doubt is would be less than $5000 a year to insure up here.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

You could perhaps insure one of the wheels for 5K a year... I think the one you see in the picture (c-X75) is the only one there is. It's a hybrid! each wheel has its own electric motor. Then there's some fancy assed mid-chassis turbo business. 0-60 in 3.4 seconds - and it's quite nice looking too.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

A one -off concept car is all I don't need. Electrically driven wheels were done generations ago but they didn't have the modern electronics to work with. Hence...failure in the end.
If I had much more than my pension cheques I would rather have an old Jag XKE. Beautiful cars and I know there are shops in Vancouver to keep them running.
I do wish the auto industry would quit with the outrageous concept cars. They are nothing but an exercise in engineering that ultimately leads nowhere. Even a well thought out hybrid is hard to rationalize if you don't have a reason to drive a lot and the $ to buy one in the first place. A Civic hybrid doesn't hit the breakeven point for about 7 years. How many drivers want the same set of wheels for 7 years ? It is all fine and dandy to be kind to the environment but most folks can't afford it.

What we need is some one to develop a good foolproof steam car.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

How about this one?... it's a little less ostentatious - probably gets better mileage than the Jag...

Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Pretty cool little car Alan. I do think I would be looking for something a little less off the wall though. The Nissan Cube is an interesting vehicle that is gaining popularity but I'm not sure if even one of those would work for me. I'm just one of those old fuddy duddies that is apt to go with a more traditional set of wheels. Hence the Ranger for a little utility and acceptable comfort level. I spent years whinning and planing to get a Taurus till I finally got one. Great car but not for me, I'm a trucky kinda guy.
I would guess my choice of bikes reflects my tastes. Vstroms can do everything well but not perfectly, works for me.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

What we need is some one to develop a good foolproof steam car.
Whatever happened to the Stanley Steamer? Not "foolproof" I guess. (There's an old engineering saying "anyone can make something foolproof. Nobody can make something bloody fool proof" ) Reckon there's too many people who could manage to blow themselves up with a steamer.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

I think a foolproof steam car could be made with proper safe guards and modern technology. Heat the boiler with propane or natural gas and top up the water res. Maybe even a steam powered generator for a hybrid with motors at each wheel.
The old Stanley Steamers were a work of art. As a youngster I talked to a fellow who had one. He said it had fantastic power and could start out on a steep incline with no real effort at all. A big car with steam heat in the winter and very comfortable. 70 MPH was a cruising speed on regular roads and there was no noise except the tires going around. This was at a time when most cars would barely do 70 top speed.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
burkbuilds

My wife got a Nissan Cube about a year and a half ago and she loves it. That thing has an amazing amount of headroom inside too. I'm 6'1" and there must be nearly 6" of clearance above my head when I'm in the front seat. If you don't like for people to point at you though then buy something else. Every time I've ever ridden with her people pull up beside and wave, or kids stop playing ball and start pointing at her car, it's crazy. She's had total strangers walk up to her in the parking lot and ask if they could sit in it. All of my daughters high school friends recognize her from the car and they all think it's cool. Me, I feel more at ease driving an old truck.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

The cube appears very roomy for it's size, of course anything built like a box is very efficient for good use of available space. The original Mini was the same thing. I actually had a 1960 used Mini when I finished school. It was quite an experience having a car that was only 2 or 3 inches wider than my Vstrom with hard bags. A 36 HP 4 banger 850 cc engine and a 4 speed transaxle.