Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
sapper

Just Purchased Bike, noticing issues from previous lay down

Hey, im new and a novice rider. purchased a 2002 that had been laid down and accepted the fact that there is a bang in the front left of the tank and planned to replace it once i found a good used one. There are two stops on the frame where the front fork is housed that limit the left and right turing angle of the front end. the previous owner sheared off the left limiting stop and that causes the handle bar to turn almost into dent in the tank. assuming i replace the tank with a new one, i am pretty sure that the handlebar will have contact there.

looks like the limiting stops were built into the frame and was wondering if there are any ideas on limiting the turning angle of this front end.

i will try to post a photo this evening.

Mark

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: Just Purchased Bike, noticing issues from previous lay d

Welcome to the forum. Hmmm, thats weird why they cut that off. Dont know why they would, and i dont know what to put in place of it. Maybe weld a piece of steel on both sides. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The steering stop was likely sheared off from a hard lay down. I have heard of this before in some mishaps.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
sapper

are there any other items i need to be aware of with this bike? its obviously been in a little more trauma then i initially suspected.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Does it roll straight and true when you are riding in a straight line? Or does it feel like it wants to fight you to one side or the other?

In bike crashes, the biggest killer is frame or fork damage.
I would have someone ride behind at a 3/4 angle while you ride in a staight line. The chaser can usually eyeball if the front and back wheels are in alignment or if the bike is rolling kind of half-cocked. You can also roll through a puddle of water and ride it out as straight as possible and see if your wet tire streaks line up.

Send us a photo of the bike and the area that's been damaged. These things are simple and we know.... Well, we pretty much know everything.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

There could be a whole bag full of damage if you are unlucky.
First I would get the front wheel off the ground by placing a jack or similar device under the frame. Swing the bars left to right to feel and listen to the steering head bearings. There should be no noise or grinding felt and a smooth feeling all the way left to right. You will likely find a wee bit of resistance from cables and such so be forewarned.
Look closely at the forks for any sign of being bent. Even a little bit is bad news. Do the bars line up with the forks?? Sometimes the forks can twist in the triple tree upon impact but that is fairly easy to fix. Do the forks show signs of the seals leaking??
With the bike held in a vertical position(blocks or another warm body) and the front wheel straight you can eye ball the front end from a few feet away to see if both wheels are identically vertical. There is a possibility the steering head was tweeked upon impact. That is a possibility if the steering stops were sheared off or hit hard enough.
Back to 2 wheels on the ground. How smooth is the steering with weight on the front wheel?? There should be no binding through the full sweep of the bars.
Do the bars look bent??
Do all of the above and take pics from all angles and post them here for everyone to see. Different eyes might be the ticket to clarify any damage and help to diagnose it. Pics front, rear and sides. Here's hoping you have an unpolished gem that just needs some TLC and an owner who cares.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Does it roll straight and true when you are riding in a straight line? Or does it feel like it wants to fight you to one side or the other?

In bike crashes, the biggest killer is frame or fork damage.
I would have someone ride behind at a 3/4 angle while you ride in a staight line. The chaser can usually eyeball if the front and back wheels are in alignment or if the bike is rolling kind of half-cocked. You can also roll through a puddle of water and ride it out as straight as possible and see if your wet tire streaks line up.

Send us a photo of the bike and the area that's been damaged. These things are simple and we know.... Well, we pretty much know everything.
I see we are on the same page with the front end inspection.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

WW: My brother from another mother.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Was your mother as crazy as mine?? lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

She always seemed pretty normal to me...