Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Zmeans1

Voltage Regulator

Hello all, I recently burnt my voltage regulator up on my bike. I bought a new one and put it on and a brand new battery. I no longer have an electric starter that works. Also another thing that puts me at a loss is when I bump start it, it will idle fine but will not take a throttle at all. I took off the carb and cleaned it put it back on with a new spark plug new battery and the new regulator and still nothing!!! Any suggestions help. I am starting to lose this battle! PLEASE

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Voltage Regulator

Welcome to the forum. We will help as much as possible. First things first please. Year of bike. New to you but used by previous riders? Number of miles helps. Our trouble shooters will be along with questions to help determine the problem. Alantf will likely help with the elecrical, he is really good
A multimeter and testlight are handy when trouble shooting. Cheap and last forever.

Be patient.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmeans1
I no longer have an electric starter that works.
Questions........

What happened, to burn out the regulator?

Did the starter motor work ok before the regulator burned out?

Does it not even attempt to work, or does it try?

Does the starter relay (under the seat) click when you press the starter button?

We need ALL the details, & the PRECISE details.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Zmeans1

Ok here we go! sry for my lack of details. 01 36k
I am almost positive what caused the regulator to burn out was a bad battery connection not a smooth current feeding to the positive side.

Yes, the starter motor did work before the regulator burnt out.

Now, it will not even attempt at all. and as for the relay under the seat nothing.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

What did I say? Alantf to the rescue of course. You will also want to be sure to charge up the new battery completely. Most dealers/suppliers give a battery an initial charge but it is never for a long enough time period and the battery will never last or hold a full charge. Use no more than a 2 Amp charger to finish the job. I have used a Battery Tender(0.85 Amps) with good results over night. It is a smart charger that will not overcharge a battery. The BT also comes with a permanent charging line that can be installed on the bike which makes for easier charging when needed. No need to remove the battery. A worthwhile investment for any rider. Both of our bikes are equiped this way. Great for topping up the batteries once a month during the off season in the GWN.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
alantf

[attachment=0:37a6xiqk]img083.jpg[/attachment:37a6xiqk]If the relay's not clicking it sounds like a blown fuse. Don't think it's the starter motor itself. First thing, check all fuses. If they're ok, you'll need to test the relay circuit, back from the battery. The top drawing shows the 20A fuse. It's possible that it's one of the safety switches, but I doubt it.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
alantf

Another one, where we've tried to help, then heard nothing more.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Stuff happens. His replacement will be along in the Spring when another new rider discovers their bike is snafu-ed, needs help and then disappears into the night.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
bpdchief

mayhaps i have not looked long or hard enough, but, where is the fuse box on the GZ... might be a good thing to know. And for Alan - I wired in cord with a male lighter plug incase I should have to jump the GZ (without the car running) is this a wrong move?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Alantf is probably sleeping now so I will butt in with my 2 cents. If you have a male end leading away from the battery what is stopping it from contacting some part of the bike? If I understand you, there is a live power source(your battery) waiting to contact something courtesy of the male plug. You should have a waterproof power point on the bike that will accept a male plug. You can also power up a GPS or charge a cell with the power point on the bike. A length of wire with a male plug and clips on the other end will allow you to power up from any other vehicle just by lifting the hood and clipping onto the battery.
If the male plug on your bike is secured safely and insulated while not in use then go for it. Alantf will advise you about wire size and fusing.
Both the Vstrom and M-50 used a waterproof power point from time to time. I mounted the power point on Lynda's crash bars