Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
New GZ250

My Triumph/BMW Dealership

Just took my Bonneville down for the 500 mile maintenance, and went home on a 2010 Triumph Scrambler 900. Anyway the Dealership supplies free loaners while your bike is in the shop. A real plus, drop your bike off and you have a ride home, which makes my wife very happy. She doesn't have to drop me off or take me to get the bike when the service is complete. I think it a great idea to introduce their customers to what is new on the market, might even turn into a sale. No mileage limitation on the loaner, just bring it back with a full tank of gas. I'm lov'in it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: My Triumph/BMW Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
just bring it back with a full tank of gas.
And no scratches !! :skull:

If you don't mind, I'm sure seveal of us would be interested in what that initial service is going to cost you.......or is it included in the purchase price ??
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
New GZ250

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":3mw218yh
just bring it back with a full tank of gas.
And no scratches !! :skull:

If you don't mind, I'm sure seveal of us would be interested in what that initial service is going to cost you.......or is it included in the purchase price ??[/quote:3mw218yh]

Install a Bonneville "SE" Tachometer Kit and the 500 mile service, estimate is $385.40 (Tach install is about $100.00) So the service is about $285.40 with a loaner.
Not bad!
Yes no scatches or dents, as they say you drop it you pay for it!
:2tup:

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

The free loaner is a good selling tool. A friend of mine dropped off a 650 BMW and rode a really big sweet BMW touring bike home. He refused to return the touring bike after 2 days on it.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The free loaner is a good selling tool. A friend of mine dropped off a 650 BMW and rode a really big sweet BMW touring bike home. He refused to return the touring bike after 2 days on it.
Think the loaner program this dealer has, must bring business in the front door. Think this is the major reason they provide the loaners, have noticed they sell at the end of the season. Have seen their loaner bikes on Craigslist, they probably break even when they sell them. Don't know if they have any BMW loaners, I do know they have at least three loaners as the bike and keys say #3. Makes my life easier. I'm paying for the loaner with the shop services they are performing, I'm no fool, not many things in life are free!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

The loaner is also a demo bike plain and simple. So the company accountant will just keep writing it off one month at a time until it sells. A good acct will make sure they never just break even on a bike.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The loaner is also a demo bike plain and simple. So the company accountant will just keep writing it off one month at a time until it sells. A good acct will make sure they never just break even on a bike.
How right you are!
:2tup:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
dhgeyer

A couple of years ago, when I had service done on my 1996 R850R, Max's BMW gave me a brand new (and in this case I mean brand new - 11 miles on the clock) R1200GS to go play with. Fifty miles home and fifty miles back. In this case the convenience worked, but the sales angle did not, as I learned that I don't particularly care for the GS, and when I did buy a new BMW is was an updated Roadster instead. Max doesn't do the loaner program anymore. They will pick up and deliver your bike anywhere in New England for free if the service is over a certain minimum, which with a BMW it will be.

Not sure about my local BMW/Triumph dealership. They used to do loaners, but I'm not sure if they still do or not, as I haven't had them do any service on my bikes in years. They will pick up and deliver for free, but only locally.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Max doesn't do the loaner program anymore.
It only takes ONE accident with a greedy rider and/or shyster lawyer to screw up a good thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Max doesn't do the loaner program anymore.
It only takes ONE accident with a greedy rider and/or shyster lawyer to screw up a good thing.
I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. My guess is it was more of a case of a slight change in business model due to the rather astounding growth the business had, particularly in the area of service. They are pretty consistently the top dollar earning BMW motorcycle service department in the USA. Their service wing is as big as the average car dealership's, only with smaller and more bays. They have two vans and two full time drivers picking up and delivering bikes from as far away as Connecticut and Vermont. If they tried to cover that with loaners, they'd have to have a pretty big fleet of them. I'm guessing it's more cost effective to do what they're doing.

They still have a small number of demo bikes, particularly in the more popular models they sell.