Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Kayrub

Bike turns over on first try but not second....

Like the subject says, I can turn the bike on first try after having it charged let it idle and warm up, drive about 10 miles to the gas station and turn it off, fill up some gas, and then it wont start again, after that experience I went home let it sit for one night, started it let it idle for a while then shut it off and tried to start it again, and nothing. thought it may be battery, got a new one, thought it may be starter, got a new one, thought it might be spark plug, got a new one....I'm all out of ideas and I've watched the battery rate while revving and it does charge the battery while running so I don't think it's alternator any help?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Bike turns over on first try but not second....

I don't know where to begin here because this is such a general question with so any possibilities, but here goes--
For starters - If you bought a new AGM battery, did you charge it before you installed it and used it? If not. it may be shot already, after starting the bike only one or two times., ie. no good, not able to hold a full charge. These MUST be put on a charger and fully charged before first use, not just taken off the shelf or filled with acid and then you are told they are good to go.
Secondly - As has been said on here many times - you do not start the bike, let it sit for a while at idle. You are depleting the battery more in starting it than you are recharging it at idle, even if it sat at idle for hours. These bikes have a very puny charging system and do not put out significant charging output 'till they reach 2500-3000 rpm.
Third - We need more information from you. Do you have lights when you turn the key on? Do they stay lit or dim severely when you hit the start button? Does the starter not turn over when you hit the start button, or does it "click"? I assume the switch is in the RUN position, not OFF, and the clutch is pulled in when you try and start the bike (this is one of the safety interlocks).
And when you say it won't start, does that mean the starter won't turn over, or that it turns over fine, but the engine won't "fire" or "catch" or run?
You are using the choke correctly right? These engines need the choke for a cold start.
Check your battery with a voltage meter. A fully charged battery should read 12.6-12.8V. Invest in a small 2 amp (nothing higher) battery charger or maintainer/tender, and recharge your battery fully, and try it again. There is nothing wrong with your starter or your alternator, or your spark plug (gap set right when you put in a new one?) . Practically all the time the problem is due to the battery and how it is used/abused. If your battery won't hold a charge and repeatedly fails to start your bike after a few starts, recharge it again, bring it back to the store and have it tested with a load tester as that is the only way to see if it's any good. And if you get a replacement, you better charge it up first regardless of what the guy in the store says, or you'll be back there again within a week getting another one.
You should also maybe spray some contact cleaner into the RUN/OFF switch and starter button and work them back and forth a few times - this may clean up dirty contacts.
It would be nice if you gave us a clue as to the age/mileage/ a little past history/maintenance on this bike, like did you just get this? Etc, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the group.
Introducing yourself would also be nice, so we have an idea of your experience level and can help you better. I think you will find this an informative place, but tell us a little about yourself and your bike.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
5th_bike

'Nothing' - it doesn't even turn over ? No 'click' sound (from the starter relay) ?

If the starter does turn, kindly also inform us about any application of 'choke' during the second start.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Kayrub

It wont turn over on the second try it makes a buzz with the choke turned on.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
5th_bike

Sounds like the 'not-fully-charged-new-battery' problem that mrlmd1 already mentioned.

BTW, if the engine it hot (and after 10 miles it is) and you just got gas, there is no need to use the choke.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
JWR

Do you have booster cables and know how to use them?

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Kayrub

I fully charged a new battery when I got it, I tried a normal acid battery, then the suzuki dealer gave me a gel battery to try, I also fully charged it before I put them on. both have the same problem, and by booster cables to you mean like jumper cables for a car?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
JWR

Yes, as in jumper cables and where they go on the GZ.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Kayrub

Where do they go?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
mrlmd1

Pos to pos and neg to neg on battery terminals (or on any other good ground) from car to bike, but DO NOT have the car running when you connect them or try to start your bike as the car's alternator output will fry all the electronics on the bike.
If you have absolutely no turning over of the starter but just a "buzz" when you hit the start button, that sounds like a dead battery. Have you measured the battery voltage at the battery terminals?
As an outside chance you are doing this, as other members on here have done - when you turn the key to the OFF position, be careful you do not turn it beyond OFF, and leave the rear parking lights on. In daylight hours you may not notice this, then come back and find the battery dead because it has discharged from the lights being left on.
Can you tell us what you charged the battery with and for how long before you installed it or used it?
And you are pulling in the clutch when you try and start the bike? My bikes will not start unless the clutch is pulled in. Or, you may not be in neutral and then it will not turn over unless the clutch is pulled in.

You say you got a new starter. Can I ask why?, and how you tested the old one before you replaced it?. Did YOU replace it or a dealer or mechanic? Did anyone test the starter to see if it was bad before replacing it?
And are you going to tell us how old this bike is and how many miles on it and any other maintenance history other than that you replaced the starter, spark plug and batteries in an attempt to shotgun solve your problem for lack of concrete problem solving?