Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
rayzuki

blueing pipes

My gz has only 750 miles on it and the pipes are starting to turn blue at the motor. Is this normal? I got mine used and the pipes were already blue. I was thinking about getting them rechormed but if this is normal I don't think I will waste my money.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
1900 miles and yeah mine are a bit blue and brown as well. I haven't tries to clean them up yet.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Normal. Don't waste your money. They will just blue up again.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Normal. Don't waste your money. They will just blue up again.
+1

The length of the blue depends on your environment and riding style. Hotter/ridden harder = longer blue/gold "stain".
The first 8 inches or so is inevitable regardless and you might do more damage than good in trying to remove that.
If it gets longer than 8".....turns the corner and starts down the front.....then there is a product or two that claims to be able to remove that without harming the pipes. I have no personal experience as I just let mine go.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
rayzuki

so I decided I couldn't stand looking at the blue on the pipes and didn't want to waste my money on rechroming again since it will only be a temporary fix so I found a cheap alternative. Not the best solution but it works for me.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
so I decided I couldn't stand looking at the blue on the pipes
And you somehow thing THAT looks better than the blue pipes ??
Sorry, but I don't agree.

They DO make polish specifically to remove (or reduce) the blue on the chrome.

Moreover, what you have done will cause the portion of the pipe you have covered to get MUCH hotter than intended. This might make the pipes warp. It will certainly drive the blue farther down the pipes AND cause the muffler to get hotter too.
Overall I don't think it is a good idea.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Let me first say that you did a very solid job on the wrapping. That can be hard to get right and I think it looks good.

However, like Easy said, you will be causing your pipes to get even hotter. When you remove the heat wrap in the future, you will propably see very discolored pipes. If they get wet, you may also notice that they will rust under there.

Considering these things, if you really like the looks, drive around for a day or two and see if you can tell a difference in the extra heat produced throughout your entire exhaust system. I'm sure that you will.

Just take these things into consideration if you decide to leave it on there.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
rayzuki

Quote from heatshieldproducts..com
By wrapping the exhaust system it maintains hotter exhaust gases, decreases the density, and allows the exhaust gas to exit the system faster! Greater exhaust scavenging is produced and lowers intake temperatures: that equals more horsepower. It also adds to rider comfort, by reducing burns caused by exhaust pipes coming into direct contact with your legs or can even protects fairings from melting. These colored short exhaust rolls are the perfect exhaust insulating wrap for your motorcycle, go cart, or quad. Our exhaust wrap withstand 1200°F continuous and 2000°F intermittent. Our custom exhaust heat wrap can be fastened with Thermal-Tie, hose clamps, or wire.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
Quote from heatshieldproducts..com
And you don't think even for a second that the claims might be exagerated just a TINY bit, in an effort to sell more of their product ?? :??:

In order for most of that to even approach being true, one must have a "free flowing" exhaust to begin with.........which you do NOT have if you are still running a stock muffler.......or one with any significant baffle.

So, like someone else said: Let us know how it turns out after a week or so. Maybe you won't notice any difference, since it would be kind of hard to measure the temp. of the muffler.

The same amount of heat will be procuced and (trust me) the "flow" of gasses won't be that much different .......so the heat that you are trapping IN the header pipes has to go somewhere. It will "flow" toward the back and the part of the pipes that are not covered WILL be hotter.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
BigIron

I've been thinking of painting mine with engine paint. Maybe flat black from the head down to the front pegs. Some online MC stores sell paint made for your exhaust. I dont know what affect this would have on heat though.