Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
webbmeister25d

Highway Bars

Hi All,

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning, buffing, polishing, and changing the oil and spark plug on my bike. It now has a new oil filter, Rotella T6, and an NGK Iridium plug (don't know if the latter is snake oil, but it works just fine). In short, the bike is running great!

The next step is to install a highway bar. I was just about to purchase the MC bar, but read here that depending on where your rear brake pedal is, the MC can interfere in the path of the pedal's travel. It seems that this can be rectified, but only by adjusting the position of the pedal. The adjustments show the pedal adjusted upward, so there is enough distance for the pedal to travel without bottoming out on the MC.

Here's the thing ... I have large feet, and an upward adjustment of the pedal would make for an awkward riding position for my right foot. In fact, I think the inclination of my foot to seek a natural position would result in the balls of my feet "riding" the brake. Has anyone dealt with this? Are there other (effective) bars out there that are configured to provide better clearance at the brake pedal?

I'd appreciate any advice provided!

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Highway Bars

I didn't have to move anything when I put my MC bar on my bike.
It's not a big deal to move the pedal up an inch and your foot should not be riding or resting on the pedal anyway - that's what the peg is for.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Iridium plugs are not snake oil. They do not work much better than a good standard type plug but their beauty lies in the fact that they will last as long as you own the bike. They are OEM for most cages and higher end bikes for the last 15-20 years. It is not uncommon to have them last for 100,000 miles in cages.
My Vstrom got Iridium plugs at 40,000 kms(25,000miles) and I doubt I will ever replace them.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
webbmeister25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I didn't have to move anything when I put my MC bar on my bike.
It's not a big deal to move the pedal up an inch and your foot should not be riding or resting on the pedal anyway - that's what the peg is for.
I understand the purpose of the peg. My concern is that raising the brake pedal will increase the awkwardness of the angle of the foot (imagining the peg as the fulcrum, the heel in an uncomfortable "way down" position to compensate for a ball of the foot "way up" position to avoid resting on the brake pedal.) As it stands, with the peg in the arch of my foot, The brake pedal falls under the ball of my foot. If the bar is immediately forward of the pedal, that also means that it is likely that my toes will catch on the bar as I apply the rear brakes. I have BIG feet (14). I'm wondering if any other brand of bar (Baron?) is situated or shaped a little farther forward for better clearance.

Thanks for your answer!

Jim
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
webbmeister25d

No offense meant on the Iridium plugs. I'm happy to hear that they have long lives!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmeister25d
No offense meant on the Iridium plugs. I'm happy to hear that they have long lives!
No offense taken. We have been conditioned for years to not believe some of the adverts and stories about wonder plugs and oil additives because so much of it is just snake oil.
If major car and bike manufactures are putting Iridium plugs and synthetic oil in at the factory it is probably a good idea. If a 3:00 AM infomercial says brand XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread you better take it with a grain of salt.
Personal/member recommendations such as we have on the forum are pretty much the truth and we can go with that. Nobody here gets paid to read a script and smile.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Oh yeah, original topic. Highway bars. MC makes a good product. Lynda has them on her M-50 Suzuki. Solid with a good finish. Can't comment on the foot clearance with the GZ but I would suggest getting them and seeing how they work out. Worst case scenario is no room for your feet. Sell them to a member for a few $ off and try a different brand.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
HumbleNewRider

webbmeister25d - Did you find an engine guard that worked? I bought the Baron engine guards and there wasn't enough room for the brake pedal, even with adjustments. I called Baron and actually spoke to the guy the designed that engine guard for the GZ 250. I had emailed him photos of the brake pedal and the engine guard. He confirmed it didn't fit, but didn't know why not. They had sold many others without any problems.

When I had the pedal adjusted to its maximum height, it would have been awkward to use. I would have had to lift my entire leg up to use it. I wouldn't have been able to pivot my foot.

Baron was nice enough to allow the on-line retailer to return the engine guard, so the retailer agreed to accept a return from me. But, I haven't found a replacement. I thought the best option was one made in Spain, but there isn't an American distributor.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNewRider
webbmeister25d - Did you find an engine guard that worked? I bought the Baron engine guards and there wasn't enough room for the brake pedal, even with adjustments. I called Baron and actually spoke to the guy the designed that engine guard for the GZ 250. I had emailed him photos of the brake pedal and the engine guard. He confirmed it didn't fit, but didn't know why not. They had sold many others without any problems.

When I had the pedal adjusted to its maximum height, it would have been awkward to use. I would have had to lift my entire leg up to use it. I wouldn't have been able to pivot my foot.

Baron was nice enough to allow the on-line retailer to return the engine guard, so the retailer agreed to accept a return from me. But, I haven't found a replacement. I thought the best option was one made in Spain, but there isn't an American distributor.
Interesting. Would you post the pics with the bars on your bike.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNewRider
He confirmed it didn't fit, but didn't know why not. They had sold many others without any problems.
I think it's just that a lot of riders don't know that the brake pedal needs adjusting, & leave it in the raised position. For some reason all GZs come from the factory with the pedal way too high. It isn't even within the spec that Suzuki gives in the owner's manual.