Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
kongjie

Some random questions about my new '06 GZ-250

Just about 2 weeks ago I got my first bike since the 70cc Honda dirtbike I rode as a teen. This 2006 only had 700 miles on it. Since it had been sitting in a garage for over a year, I had it towed to a local shop, the fuel tank drained, carb cleaned and the oil changed.

It feels like it is running pretty good to me, although I have nothing to compare it to, obviously. But I do have a couple questions.

Front wheel sound
I turn off the bike and push a couple yards it when I stow it behind my cottage. When I do, the front wheel makes a sound. Can't really describe it. Kind of like a slight metal rubbing? I just wonder if this is normal--coming from the world of bicycles, I'm just to not hearing anything when I push a bike LOL. Perhaps the disc brakes produce a sound?

Oil smell
There is no leaking oil, as far as I can see; and there is no smoke from the exhaust to the best of my knowledge. But when I finish my approximately 20 minute commute, I can smell a slight burning oil smell. Not sure if that is normal.

Compressed air
I noticed, looking through the downloaded manual, that a number of routine repairs--air filter cleaning, carb cleaning--requires compressed air. As a lifelong renter, and at least for the time being lacking a garage (just a small shed), I don't have a ton of tools and certainly not a compressor. Assuming this is something necessary for basic maintenance, does anyone have a suggestion for the smallest compressor that can do the job?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Some random questions about my new '06 GZ-250

Congrats on the bike and welcome.
Front wheel: a disc brake will normally make a bit of noise. This is because the pads are always in contact with the disc. All is good.
Oil smell: I would assume that the engine is still trying to burn off the original shipping grease/coating. With only 700 miles on the bike it certainly wasn't ridden enough to do the job properly. You aren't the first rider to notice this.
Compressed air: A compressor is handy but not as needed as many folks would think. You can live without one just like I have. I do however use a 12 volt compressor to pump up tires but not a regular shop compressor that the manual is refering to.
I would suggest going over the bike with some TLC to check for loose nuts and bolts and lube anything that moves. Likely the bike never had it's 600 check and it needs it. The manual will help you. Make all the adjustments needed on the controls to fit your body. Of particular interest is the rear brake pedal. Adjust it to fit your leg/foot. The bikes usually come out of the factory with the pedal too high to fit most folks.
The bike most likely never had it's 600 mile valve check. This is something you should do or have done by a decent shop.
You will likely need a new battery too if this is still original. A new battery and a Battery Tender will serve you well. The Battery Tender is a small smart charger that maintains the battery when the bike is left unused for a while. It can also be used to charge up a new battery properly overnight before being put into service.
Tinkering and a little TLC will familiarize you with the bike and both of you will be better off for it. Have fun and don't be afraid to ask a silly sounding question. We all have them.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
kongjie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The bikes usually come out of the factory with the pedal too high to fit most folks.
Thanks, I didn't even know you could adjust it. That's great. As a new rider, I'm still trying to figure out where to position my right foot while I'm riding. With the pedal in the current position, I think I might be riding the brake if I cover it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You will likely need a new battery too if this is still original. A new battery and a Battery Tender will serve you well. The Battery Tender is a small smart charger that maintains the battery when the bike is left unused for a while. It can also be used to charge up a new battery properly overnight before being put into service..
The bike was kept on a Tender the whole time. I thought I might need a new battery but the shop said it was fine. The first day, however, I stalled and after a couple of attempts to restart, the battery didn't have enough juice to start. But after a push start and some riding it was fine, and has been since then. I got a multimeter and checked the battery, got a Tender just in case, but ended up returning it.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Here is something you don't want to hear but it is for your own safety and long life. Replace the tires. At 700 miles there is lots and lots of tread left but it will kill you. The tires are at least 7 years old, maybe 8 years old. With age the rubber gets hard, loses it's ability to grip and becomes slippery. This applies to all tires. Anything over 5 years old and still in use should be tossed. I have 4 beautiful tires off my truck that are just old..........wanna buy them? I can make you a heck of a deal. They won't grip hot pavement let alone a damp surface.
There are some decent tires on the market for the GZ that will work well and make the bike feel more planted and secure. Never ride on old tires, they will eventually bite you no matter how careful you are.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
kongjie

Well, here's the deal: when I first had the bike towed to a shop my friend recommended, I asked them to look over the whole thing, and to replace the tires. I actually even factored it in to the purchase price.

But the fellow at the shop told me that the tires look great. The bike has been garage kept the whole time, out of the sun, and he said they looked them over and they are still sticky and show no signs of cracking. He added that they were premium tires and one of the advantages of a lighter bike is that there is less impact on the tires when a bike sits for a long time.

The date code shows that they are indeed '06 or '07 tires and it was my understanding that you replace tires over 5 years old--just like you don't buy a used helmet--but here I had this guy who presumably knows a lot more than me about motorcycles telling me the tires were good to keep. So, I listened to him.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Rookie Rider

Ok, but sitting in a garage for a year may cause a flat spot on both tires from the wieght of the bike and from not being moved around. Your life may depend on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

If you already factored in new tires before purchase you should just do it. Either that or invest in more health insurance. I can't stress enough the value of new rubber under your butt. It will make a big difference in your safety and riding enjoyment. Riding with old tires is like fondling a loaded gun.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Rookie Rider

BANG !!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
kongjie

Ok, you've convinced me. Heck, I was already convinced and let the shop talk me out of it.

An amusing aside. I didn't ride this weekend. Monday morning and the battery is dead. Push started it after a couple of failed attempts, rode it to the auto parts store and bought a battery tender (with the bike still running lol). Came back home and am charging it now. The shop checked it out, charged it overnight, said it was fine. So maybe I need to factor that in to their advice about the tires...
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

If the battery is original I would toss it just to have the reliability of a new one. It has already surpassed it's expected life by quite a margin.
What you have is basically an new "old stock" bike. 700 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things so a bit more invested is worthwhile in my opinion. Renewing the battery, tires, tubes and adding in some TLC will have it new new again. Make sure the chain has no frozen links from lack of use and enjoy your new bike.