Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
the.blue.bandit

Newbie chick from Maryland here!

Hi there!

My name is Brittany, 25 years old as of this past Thursday, and a rider of 3 years. Started out on a 1975 Yamaha RD175 (didn't last long lol) and graduated to my 2006 GZ250 last spring. I absolutely adore it (I'm staring out my office window at it while writing this), and was stoked to find a forum full of fellow GZ-ers! My husband just bought a Yamana FZ1 last week, and has been living in their online forums ever since, so I figured I'd follow suit.

Embarrassingly enough, I've only put 1100 miles on her so far (I have a Mustang convertable that demands summer attention also), but have been riding it almost constantly this year... with the gas prices, who wouldn't? I did drop her on a slow-speed tight turn over the weekend... husband's hat flew off (he was riding in front of me), and I tried to turn around in a driveway to grab it for him... ended up gently setting the bike down in the middle of the road... I was still standing, but couldn't keep the bike upright :oops: Luckily I just picked her back up and carried on!

So yeah, I just figured I'd say hello, hopefully meet some of you other members, and dive back into reading all the really great posts about our badass bikes!

Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
LilNinja77

Howdy! I like your avatar :2tup:

Don't feel bad about the little drop, happens to everyone at some time.

You say your husbands' hat flew off? Was he riding without a helmet on?
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
5th_bike

Hey Brittany, welcome to the forum, I am also from Maryland and I'm the same age as you - oops, sorry, swap those two digits, I really need new bifocals !

I got mine last October with 35 miles on it, didn't use it much last winter but it was great riding weather today so I took it to work in Gaithersburg again, 50 miles roundtrip, and I'm at more than 1900 miles now.

I just did some tinkering at the handlebars, got the mirrors straightened out, re-attached a handlebar weight (that was a pain, getting the rubber and the bolt out - *never* unscrew the handlebar weight more than say 1/8 inch) and put the clutch- and break handles a little higher. they were kind of low.

Anyways, ride safe ! :2tup:

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
the.blue.bandit

Hi Ninja, hi 5th! =D Nice to meet ya! And thanks about the avvie compliment... it was a smoking cheshire cat, had to have it lol. Love your siggy Ninja... OH so true.

Haha yes, indeed there was a time when setting the bike down would have probably frustrated me to tears, but I'm proud to say I just picked it up and moved on. And no, he was not wearing a helmet (which was a point of contention before our ride)... we both own full face helmets, but he complains about wearing it when we're just going around town. I always wear mine, I like my brain where it is.

Ooo, how's the riding down near Gaithersburg?? I stay up toward Hagerstown, sometimes up north to Chambersburg and Greencastle P.A.... some very nice back roads up this way! I plan to make my first trip to the Eastern Shore across the Bay Bridge this summer maybe, so that should be an adventure.

Keep it safe.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
El Diablo

You might suggest he get an open faced helmet for the short jaunts. $50 helmet would be well worth it. You might also point out the Statistics - Most motorcycle accidents happen within 3 miles of your house at speeds of less than 30 miles per hour.

Keep on Keeping on

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
the.blue.bandit

Exactly what I say too, El Diablo... I guess maybe he thinks hes the Magic Man or something (booo... bad Talladega Nights reference). He actually has his dad's open-faced helmet from when he rode years ago, and even though I'm sure it's out of date, it's better than a baseball cap. He just got his FZ1 last Wednesday, used to have a Suzuki Blvd. M50 so it's a total change for him. Can't talk sense into the man though...

Lol, if enough people talk about the dangers of not wearing a helmet in this thread, I'll just make him read it. Maybe he'll take advice from other motorcycle riders other than myself!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
rusty rider

Brittany, I recently began riding again after an 18 year hiatus and haven't laid down my bike. Prior to that I raced and rode street bikes for over 20 years. I bounced my pumpkin off of the road a couple of times(wearing a helmet). I still have a couple of scars to show what it looks like when skin meets asphalt. If reasoning won't get through to your husband, then simply tell him if he loves ya, he'll wear a brain bucket. :cool:
Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

He doesn't have to read anything.
Look up photos of motorcycle accidents in which the rider was wearing either no helmet or a half helmet.
There is really no excuse if he values his life and yours.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
the.blue.bandit

Thanks guys, you're definitely right... it just makes no sense to play with fate that way. I told him that if he didn't wear a helmet, I wouldn't either (I'd never do that of course, just hoping it would make him wear his), and he has ever since... hopefully it sticks.

Personally I don't even like the open-faced helmets that much, but I usually ride in pretty rural, bug infested areas... nothing like an insect to the eye doing 60 miles an hour.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.blue.bandit
Personally I don't even like the open-faced helmets that much, but I usually ride in pretty rural, bug infested areas... nothing like an insect to the eye doing 60 miles an hour.
Or a bird in the chest.

Did somebody say WINDSHIELD ?? :??:

Oh yea, that was ME.....in another thread.