Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
bigwonton

Can you downshift multiple gears when stopped?

Here's a general question about downshifting. When I'm pulling up to a red light, I generally downshift as my speed decreases. However, sometimes in traffic, I'll have to come to a quick stop in 4th or 5th when the car in front of me decides it was to make a turn at the last minute. In these cases, I've found that the GZ250 sometimes has issues downshifting all the way into first. I'll only get down to second or third and then I'll have to let out the clutch slightly, letting it grab and then clutch again before I can finish downshifting to 1st.

Did a search and found one other rider experiencing the same issue. Is it the general consensus that this happens with the GZ250 only or is it just something to deal with for all bikes (although a friend with a Vulcan swears he can go all the way down to first from 5th or 6th)? If it's abnormal, any hints on how to remedy it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
BigIron

I believe its normal for the GZ. Mine has the same issue.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Can you downshift multiple gears when stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonton
I'll only get down to second or third and then I'll have to let out the clutch slightly, letting it grab and then clutch again before I can finish downshifting to 1st.
Absolutely normal for all modern bikes ......well, not sure about the "big iron", but normal for all bikes under 1000cc or so.
Nothing to worry about. It might be a good idea, however, to practice starting off the line in 2nd gear. VERY do-able if you are stock and possible even if you have a 16T front sprocket. Don't practice it a LOT though, since it is kind of hard on the clutch.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Sarris

Downshifting

I agree w/ Easy, all bikes are tough to down shift at a stop. I've come to a stop in 5th on my HD & forgotton what gear I was in and stalled, downshifted one gear & stalled, downshifted another gear & stalled, downshifted another gear & stalled ....... I think you get the idea. It really pissed off the guy in the pickup behind me.

You are using the right method of slightly releasing the clutch lever to get it to snap down.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Tonckawa

I by mistake having started off in 3rd gear believe or not when I was first getting used to the bike. Just got confused. I thought I was in neutral (happens sometime without green indicator) and I was in 3rd.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Littlethumper

omg,talking about downshifting! My first ride on the road last saturday,whew! Like what sarris had said, i forgot what gear i am too on a stop thought i am on 1st, soon as i release the clutch, :oops: i stalled and i am on the middle of the intersection :blush: and stalled 3x!
I gotta get used to it yet and i was so embarrased although i am on a country road where there is few vehicles on the road so i can practice shifting gears. My bf was so pissed on me when i was on another stop(4way) when i thought i was on first gear and ended up running through it and a car just went through in front of me almost got me hit,and i almost end up to a ditch after if i didnt get to manuever the handlebar quick enough to get back on the trail! He was yelling at me telling me that i'm supposed to change to first gear when closing to a stop, but i told him, geez,its my first so i get confused, like tonckawa had said. My heart was beating so fast, so dang scared thought that i am dead on the spot!
But after a couple of mile trip, i ended up learning to downshift to 1st gear on a stop 'til we came back home safe. What i did, i just hold the clutch keep on downshifting from 5th gear 'til i get to 1st gear getting close to a stop I don't know if thats right but it works on me really good! :lol:

Drive safe...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
burbin1978

Yeah, I try to use that same method. When going into turns I try to be in second gear going into the turn so that I don't get any kick on the upshift coming out of the turn. I always get real paranoid about not creating any kick coming out of a turn. I always think that I'll go into a slide or something if the bike were to kick too hard. I try to relate it to driving a manual trasmission automobile. I use the same methods. I have always driven manual transmission cars and trucks so getting on the bike felt pretty natural to me except you shift with your foot and clutch and throttle with your hands. Oh, and on the bike you have to shift one gear at a time, versus going staight to your gear of choice on the manual transmission on a car or truck.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
davtnn

difficult to look cool when that happens..... but it happens to everybody.. even the experieced riders,,, just keep on truckin (and practicing )
Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

While going into a turn, you want to downshift in the straight and select a gear that will carry you all the way through the turn. Shifting mid turn is a bad idea. You lose the ability to get on the throttle and add put down added traction if you need it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
While going into a turn, you want to downshift in the straight and select a gear that will carry you all the way through the turn. Shifting mid turn is a bad idea. You lose the ability to get on the throttle and add put down added traction if you need it.
Of course, the upshift in the middle of a turn when taking off from a stoplight is always fun; I typically shift a little early, before I actually start the turn, or just take off in second gear.