Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
GZ250

The front brake lever won't go back as normal

The front brake lever is working ok, I put the new brake pads yesterday but the problem that I am going to mention started before installing the new pads. The lever won't go back fast and so the brake lights remain on for a while. It takes like 10-15 second to move back and than i hear the click of the cut off button from the brakes. I think the piece that pushes the lever back (arrow in picture) is stuck. It needs replacement, lubing or did I put more oil.

Thanks as always for answers.

Added later: Check the other post my me, where I say front brake lever - screwed up. i tried to change he brake fluid and ended up having no brake at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: The front brake lever won't go back as normal

Check the nut/bolt that holds the lever in place .. make sure its not too tight. I just had this problem on my shadow. Loosened the bolt up a hair and it works fine now. No clue how mine got overtightened.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

*edit* now the picture showed up for me ........ try loosening that screw that doubles as the pivot point.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
dannylightning

i would try to spray a little bit of lube on the cables and see if that helps, i would check out the calipers if that and dupo's suggestion do not solve the problem. is the bike in the rain often. after i walshed the engine in my old truck the throttle was kind of sticking, i lubed up the cable and it was good as new..
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i would try to spray a little bit of lube on the cables and see if that helps,
No cable on the front brake...... :roll:

I think Dupo probably nailed it but .......I believe there is a spring behind that rubber boot. Alas, I have no idea how to access that to "lube" it. Pray that the pivot point is too tight !!

If that is not the problem and the shoes are not binding (stuck caliper) then it's probably time to flush and refill the brake fluid; hopefully that will free up the piston in the master cylinder.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i would try to spray a little bit of lube on the cables and see if that helps,
No cable on the front brake...... :roll:
damn i feel stupid :retard: after 20 some years of riding bmx the first thing that comes to mind when your breaks don't feel is lube the cable
Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
GZ250

>>>>> I believe there is a spring behind that rubber boot. Alas, I have no idea how to access that to "lube" it.
I already removed the lever, cleaned the nut/bolt (that is visible in the picture) but it did not solve the problem. I also mean that rubber boot thing which Easy has mentioned. There must be a spring or something behind that which pushes the lever away or the brake fluid does that job.

If we cannot change or access the inside of rubber boot, probably the new brake fluid will do the job.

By the way how do we know that brake fluid is bad or need a change. I never changed or added the brake fluid since I bought the mc in 2005.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
>>>>> I believe there is a spring behind that rubber boot. Alas, I have no idea how to access that to "lube" it. [quote:197hfo17]

By the way how do we know that brake fluid is bad or need a change. I never changed or added the brake fluid since I bought the mc in 2005.

Thanks[/quote:197hfo17]

I'm sure others will weigh in on this, but changing the brake fluid is part of regular, preventative maintenance, i.e., you don't wait for a problem or a signal. Some say change it every year, others every couple of years, no matter what. By that standard you are past due.

Keith

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Some say change it every year, other
In over forty years of riding/driving I have NEVER EVER changed brake fluid. NEVER EVER had a problem. Am I just lucky?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
mrlmd1

On the parts fiche on here and Ron Ayers there is no spring behind the brake handle to push it out. The whole system is hydraulic. There is a piston/cup assembly in the master cylinder which looks like it has a spring in it. Possibly your problem is in there, but it's also possible your caliper may be stuck or sticking. Are your front brakes dragging after you squeeze and release the handle? If you can get the front wheel lifted off the ground, spin the wheel a little, apply and then release the front brake and see if it is grabbing by spinning the wheel again. If the handle doesn't release and the brake light stays on, then the brakes are probably grabbing and riding around like that is not good.
If this was happening before you replaced the pads then you can't blame squeezing the brake handle with no pads in it which will tighten up the calipers necessitating forcing them out apart again.
Did you check the site glass to see how much brake fluid is in the reservoir?
I think your brakes may not be releasing all the way when you let off the handle, maybe dirt in the brake, on the caliper or piston? Otherwise, if changing the fluid doesn't work, the problem may be inside your master cylinder. This needs to be fixed.