Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
ironhead1530

help learning...?

Ok, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm an idiot when it comes to engines and all things mechanical. I do learn very quickly however. Does anyone know where I can take a class on small engines? I live in Gettysburg, PA and have been searching everywhere, to no avail.

In the meantime, is there anyone in the immediate area that would be interested in helping me remove/clean the carb, do a needle shim adjust, and change from 15t to 16t sprocket?

I've become addicted to this forum in the last week, ever since I sold my 2001 Honda Rebel for a 2001 GZ250. All the posts on these topics are detailed, but again.... I'm an idiot, and I don't want to ruin anything. :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: help learning...?

Youre not an idiot, you just have to learn like i did with some stuff. Thanks to this forum and its helpful members.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome to the Learning Curve Club. You are not alone. We will help as much as possible. Ask away as there is no such thing as a stupid question. Some of our members have a good knowledge base for GZ carbs and will help.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead1530
Ok, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm an idiot when it comes to engines and all things mechanical. I do learn very quickly however. Does anyone know where I can take a class on small engines? I live in Gettysburg, PA and have been searching everywhere, to no avail.

In the meantime, is there anyone in the immediate area that would be interested in helping me remove/clean the carb, do a needle shim adjust, and change from 15t to 16t sprocket?

I've become addicted to this forum in the last week, ever since I sold my 2001 Honda Rebel for a 2001 GZ250. All the posts on these topics are detailed, but again.... I'm an idiot, and I don't want to ruin anything. :??:

I wished you lived closer, I would not even hesitate to help you with your carb (my only demand is I supervise, you wrench, and you learn ! :2tup: . My rate is 1 cold one/hr :cool:

I've helped a half dozen new riders learn and perform their own basic repairs. It's a great "feeling" to help someone who was previously scared to death of opening up a pair of forks or a carb, or change sprockets and chain.... hopefully someon close to you will chime in !

If all else fails, PM me, and I can walk you through it right over the phone some saturday...
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
mrlmd1

Check out this website, then read THE WHOLE THING. (lol).

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

It will give you some basic knowledge of where to start and help you figure things out.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
ironhead1530

Well, so far I've managed to change the oil & filter, air filter, and spark plug. I ordered the 16t sprocket and will do that next. Then, I MAY try the carb, but the seafoam I put in seems to be doing good.

Anyone able to tell me how to make sure the idle screw is set correctly, without a tach? I warmed the bike up for 10-15 mins and adjusted it until it "sounded" right to me. Not slow enough to stall, but not revving super high either.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Ironhead, sounds like you are doing very well so far. Keep up the good work. Ride safe.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
mole2

Ironhead, I believe the GZ idle should be around 1200 rpm (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). If you set it too low you won't get oil flow at idle.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
PimpS

Hello!

I also set idle speed yesterday, can you tell if the definition that ironhead said is right: Not slow enough to stall, but not revving super high either.
How do you know when it's 1200 rpm?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
alantf

Actually, Suzuki quotes 1400-1500, but that's just a starting point to get it to what YOUR bike's comfortable with. Not slow enough to stall might be a little slow, but you don't want it screaming its head off either. When mine sounds to me that it's running a bit too fast, then that's the right speed for me. Sounds barmy, but that's how I do it. Another way might be to listen to 1400rpm on your car (if it's got a rev counter) to see what it sounds like.