Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Arkygs250

Newbie from Central Arkansas

Hello people. I just bought a red 2001 GZ250 last week to save gas going to work. I originally was going to get a scooter but the licensing requirements are the same for a scooter over 50cc's and a motorcycle in this state so I started looking into bikes. I didn't want to spend a lot. I looked at some of the new Chinese bikes out now but I was just scared of the reliability and parts availability. So I scanned the Little Rock paper's classifieds and ran across this GZ with 5,800 miles for $1,400. I went and looked at her and ended up getting it for $1,300. I will have to get some tires though. I hope I didn't get took too bad. She sure is pretty and runs good. It is a little small for me since I am 6'1" and 220lbs but I only have 20 miles round trip between work and home. I can deal with the small size especially since my truck gets about 14 MPG and this thing will get 60 plus.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Sarris

Yo

Welcome brother. You've made an excellent choice in motorcycles and web sites. We're glad you're here.

Ride safe.

:chop:
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
music man

Thats Two Fellow Arkansas GZ riders, Its only a matter of time before I see another GZ going down the road. :2tup:

Later :rawk:

Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Orpheus

$1400 actually sounds like a really good deal for one of these bikes right now; I've been looking around just to compare prices around the country and it's hard to find one under $2000 that doesn't need some kind of work on it. As far as your height and weight, I'm right around 6' and weight about 200-210 lbs and I like the GZ just fine.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
music man

I am 6'1" and around 190 and I am also fairly comfortable on the gz.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
davtnn

you'll find that not just a few of the people here are not on the petite side so size is not a consideration .. and you did get a good buy on the bike .... also you might want to crunch some numbers and figure the money saved over a year of riding the bike as opposed to the truck (should produce warm fuzzy feelings toward the bike).
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Arkygs250

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments. I get new tires put in her today and have some saddle bags on order. My wife has come up with a pretty good name for the bike. I started jokingly referring to my bike as my "HOG" when ever I talked about it. My wife said that ain't a HOG that's a PIGLET! So the name stuck
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
El Diablo

Welcome, went through the same process of looking for a scooter ending up with a GZ. Glad I did because I love it.

I like the name. My bike's name is Betty Lou (from the Bob Seger song).

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
RichInFla

Welcome !! As a newbie myself, I researched the Scooter craze, and all I found was how bad the Chinese junk scooters are. Most everyone recommended a small bike rather than a scooter. I think you found a good deal. I found my 2000 locally with 5k miles on it. Ended up buying it for $1700. I will also soon (after much practice), be riding for work.

Similarly, I'm 6' about 170, so I wanted a bike with the foot controls more "forward", as when I took the MSF test, I was on a Honda Shadow with controls straight down from the waist (looked pretty goofy with the knees out wide so my feet were on the controls, LOL).

This site is great, everyone is very helpful. You'll get opinions good and bad, but that's pretty much why I joined as well, to get good info on this particular bike.

Congrats on the purchase,
Rich
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
arsuzukied

Another Arkie

Great to see another Central Arkansas rider. I bought my bike for the same reasons you did and am enjoying it. I commute from Sherwood to Ft. Roots every day - nice 20 minute ride in the morning these days, but kinda warm in the afternoon. I picked up a sling bag for my laptop and I'm in business.

This is a great forum - I posted a question late last week and already have a couple of leads on the problem. Kudos to the folks hosting and running the forum.