Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
PrivatePilot

Rear brake wear indicator - clarify please!

Hey everyone. Getting my wifes 250 ready to go for certification before we plate and insure it. Haven't yet had the rear wheel off (it needs new rubber front and back) but I'm wondering if I'm going to need new shoes or not - it certainly does need new front pads, they're down to little wafers.

From what I've gathered the rear shoes last forever and a day. The bike has only a little under 16,000 Kilometers (about 10K miles) on it. The wear indicator, is it the line through the shaft that is the alignment point on the shaft side to measure in relation to the wear indicator stamped on the brake cover itself?

See the photos:

Brakes Released

Brakes Applied

Should I save the $25 on the shoes order? If I'm interpreting things right I've got plenty of shoe left hidden in there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 03-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
Hey everyone. Getting my wifes 250 ready to go for certification before we plate and insure it. Haven't yet had the rear wheel off (it needs new rubber front and back) but I'm wondering if I'm going to need new shoes or not - it certainly does need new front pads, they're down to little wafers.

From what I've gathered the rear shoes last forever and a day. The bike has only a little under 16,000 Kilometers (about 10K miles) on it. The wear indicator, is it the line through the shaft that is the alignment point on the shaft side to measure in relation to the wear indicator stamped on the brake cover itself?

See the photos:

Brakes Released

Brakes Applied

Should I save the $25 on the shoes order? If I'm interpreting things right I've got plenty of shoe left hidden in there.
Yes it is........You shoes should be like new......You can double check when you have the wheel off for new tire.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
PrivatePilot

Thanks, ok, good. Not that I'm not going to see them anyways when I pull the tire off in a day or two, but the parts were special order and I was told it might take up to a week to get them, so if I don't need them, I won't order them - it was also going to hold up reinstalling the wheels and new rubber while I waited for the parts to arrive.

Login or Register to Remove Ads