Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
brian

Send a message via AIM to brian
looking for a dark green gas tank

Hey Guys,

I just recently purchase my GZ from a guy. While he was waiting for the title to come to him so he could sell it to me someone bumped into the bike and knocked it over. They put a dent on the left side of the tank. I was wondering if someone might have the same tank here. My bike is a 2000. I'll post a picture of my bike so you can see it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
5th_bike

If you can't find a tank (and new ones are very expensive) you may be able to find a shop where they can dent it out.
Congratulations on your new bike and ride safe !
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
If you can't find a tank (and new ones are very expensive) you may be able to find a shop where they can dent it out.
I tend to forget about that. Body shops can do absolute miracles with magnet dent-pullers. Depending on exactly where it is located and how deep it is, they might be able to pop it back out like new. Certainly worth stopping at a shop or three!!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
brian

I've tried a few different places. They all say it really wouldn't look right being pulled out. The dent is pretty deep. It almost looks like it fell over on a bar. It is creased at the top and bottom of the dent. I thought about waiting until the tank is empty, then shutting off the gas cock. then I could try to plug the gas fill hole with a rubber plug, and try to pressurize the tank with compressed air. I am leary because I don't want to pop a seam on the tank. Anyone ever try this?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
and try to pressurize the tank with compressed air. I am leary because I don't want to pop a seam on the tank. Anyone ever try this?
BAD idea. And what makes you think it would be any more effective than having the body shop pop it out?

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
brian

I heard about it from a local motorcycle shop. I'm figuring that it will oprobably just be best to try to replace the tank. I was planning on keepin an eye out on E-bay. There was one a few weeks ago just like mine with a BIN of $145.00. I figure a body shop will charge at least that or more to fix and repaint the tank.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
diffluere

Re: looking for a dark green gas tank

My tank has a dent in the left side from the previous owner. I had a friend-of-a-friend tell me to remove the tank, drain, fill it with water, and put it in the freezer. The expansion of the water supposedly will push the dent out.

I'm too scared to try it.

I think we should take a poll. It seems like quite a few of us have left-side gas tank dents.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
bonehead

I would try the frozen water before I would try applying air pressure to it. Air might cause a weak spot in the seam to separate and might even cause bodily harm. The frozen water is a much gentler process and I feel you could keep a watchfull eye on things while it is going on. air pressure and sheet metal=possibility of shrapnel.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
JWR

I did the air thing 30 years ago with a dirt bike tank. The tank was dented where I had crashed and my knee bent in the tank.
After the air trick it looked like a basketball. The sides are much weaker than the seams and the dent would probable be one of the hardest parts now.

Short story, I don't think this will take out a dent.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Short story, I don't think this will take out a dent.

Jerry

:plus1: :plus1: . I have to 100% agree with that, and I don't think filling it with water and freezing it is going to work either, even if either one of these ideas does pop out the dent, I think it is going to swell in places that you don't want it to as well as where you do.