Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
picasso

Hello From Texas

My name is Tom. I'm 55 and retired from Texas Department of Corrections 4 years ago. Now I'm driving a big yellow school bus for Pearland Texas ISD. It helps pay these enormous taxes each year down here around the Houston, Texas area. I used to ride motorcycles all the time when I was a kid but haven't had one in years untill I got a deal on craigslist that I couldn't refuse on a Suzuki GZ250. So now Im fixing her up a little at a time. Haven't decided if I will keep it or sell or trade it yet. We will see about that later on down the road. Its great to see all the folks on here sharing their experiences and ideas. I was a Maintenance Supervisor at the Texas Department of Corrections for 27 years in the Agriculture Department. Having a mechanical aptitude is a good thing but Im finding out that motorcycles and their maintenance tends to be on a level of it's own and having folks that have "been there, done that and bought the T-shirt" is very helpfull and you guys offer that here. So thanks for that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hello From Texas

Welcome from another retired guy. 55 is a great age to retire if possible. You have extended your life by many years by doing so. Research shows that long term employees shorten their lives by 2 days(on average) for every day that they work after 60.
Back to bikes. You will have fun with the GZ. They do like a little TLC and return the favor by being a reliable and economical ride. With your background you will just get a real giggle tinkering with the GZ. In my opinion they are the best looking of the bunch when compared to the 250 Star and Honda Rebel.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
northsidegz

Welcome! Hope the bike brings you joy! (whether that be on the roads or in the pocketbook)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
picasso

Thank you guys. I already enjoy it here. You have a wealth of information on this site. I would tend to agree with Water Warrior on the early retirement extending your life concept with one exception.........YOU START DRIVING A SCHOOL BUS !!!! LOL, some of those kids at one time or another have made me wish on more than one occassion that I was back working inmates on a maintenance crew. The inmates are more manageable. And they will not let me use my handcuffs on the bus......something about immediate termination or something....(I would uncuff them when I got to their stop, I dont want to take them home. They eat too much!)

Oh well, you take the good with the bad. Maybe my taxes will go down so I can really retire....not happening. Sometimes I wonder why I live near a major metropolis. Car insurance is as bad as the property!

But this site helps me unwind. Tinkering and trouble shooting with you guys helps me destress......unless its on my latest delima with this darn little shifting cam spring thing. Such a small but important part.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by picasso
LOL, some of those kids at one time or another have made me wish on more than one occassion that I was back working inmates on a maintenance crew. The inmates are more manageable. And they will not let me use my handcuffs on the bus......something about immediate termination or something....(I would uncuff them when I got to their stop, I dont want to take them home. They eat too much!)
HA HA HA HA HA!!! I already said hi to you on your cam shift plug post, but I had to LOL at this! Welcome Tom!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
bpdchief

Welcome from Florida. Several retirees in this group :cool:
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Rosco86

Small world... I graduated from Pearland High.....My folks still live off of Bailey Ave. behind Silverlake.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Hypno Rider

Welcome, brand new here myself. These guys and gals are great. And the knowledge around here is priceless.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Rookie Rider

Welcome, stick around theres more to come.