Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Becky

New rider

Hi, I just bought my first bike an 2002 GZ250 and I am trying to learn to ride, Its a little harder than I thought I signed up for a class in October, I'm very nervous and had a little spill last night skinned my elbow and broke the clutch handle, I do okay until I have to turn around and thats what got me. I need lots of practice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Hi Becky, welcome to the forum. Riding lessons are the best investment you will ever make. About the turn, do not look down where the front wheel is going, look where you want to go and you will just go there if all else is working. Looking through the turn to the place you want to go is good. Low speed handling and parking lots are where most folks fall down. Lessons will teach you the best methods and then you just practice a whole bunch to be proficient. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. Ride Safe. Oh, and get some riding gear too. Another great investment to prevent skinned elbows and such. Check out New Enough.com for some great bargains.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Badbob

Unfortunately riding gear doesn't get stressed as much as it should. I'm an all the gear all the time rider. I make concessions for hot weather wearing mesh gear. I never ride without being fully geared up.

The MSF course is very worthwhile. You will learn a lot there.

While you're waiting for your class you might want to do some reading.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
David L. Hough http://tinyurl.com/2bd228

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride
David L. Hough http://tinyurl.com/2ukmn5

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right (2nd Edition)
by Motorcycle Safety Foundation http://tinyurl.com/2bgne4 This one is a rewrite/larger version of what I had in my MSF course.

Welcome to the group.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
davidc83

Hey Bob,
how are you and your wife? Hoep all is well. How abouit sending me your Private email to davidleoncampbell@yahoo.com.
Guess what. My wife is in Lake City tonight. Shw arrived there yesterday evening looking at some property I saw while I was in Florida. Could be a reality. She likes some of the property and is waiting for answers to her questions to the developer.

Got a question for you. If we increased the size of front sprocket (16 T-if you can find one) and decrease the size of the rear sprocket by 2 or 3 teeth, wouldnt this increase our overall top end and keep the RPMs down?. Technically, isnt this the same principle as multiple speed bicycles. On bicycles, move the chain to the larger front sprocket and it moves the rear of the chain to a smaller sprocket; thus, faster speed requiring lesser RPMs of front sprocket.
Have a good holiday.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Gadzooks Mike

David, I'd be careful about changing the ratio too much - it's only 250cc! But you're right, it is exactly the same thing as a bike. Smaller back or bigger front gets more speed - to a point. After that, the power loss is more than the gear ratio can make up for.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
Badbob

I saw some where on one of the chain sites that one tooth up on the front = 3 teeth less on the rear or something like that. So doing what you propose would be the about the same as going up two teeth on the front.

Yes, its basically the same as a bicycle only the chain and the engine are different.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
Got a question for you. If we increased the size of front sprocket (16 T-if you can find one) and decrease the size of the rear sprocket by 2 or 3 teeth, wouldnt this increase our overall top end and keep the RPMs down?.
It would definitely keep the RPMs down......too much in fact.

Those of us who have installed the 16T but kept the bike otherwise stock, find a LOSS of top end because the engine doesn't have enough raw horsepower to pull with the higher ratio in 5th gear.

Going up a steep hill or fighting a strong head-wind, us 16T'ers can get more top speed in 4th than 5th.

So.....even just the 16T front is probably not a good idea for anybody who does a lot of high speed (Interstate) riding, carries a lot of weight (~350 lbs) or has to climb a lot of hills on the highway.

The mod you propose would work only for someone who always rides downhill with a strong tail-wind. :roll:
Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Gadzooks Mike

Hi Becky! Welcome to the GZ forum. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt by your fall. It happens to us all eventually, and I made a really stupid mistake not too long ago myself - and the bike wasn't even running! Anyway, as for your cornering, find an empty parking lot if you can and practice there. Also, try not to slow down TOO far when you go around the corner, or you'll lose balance. It's a tricky thing, but experience will help you out. And as Bad Bob (who really isn't bad at all) said, wear the protective gear. Leather is good, armored mesh is good, the rest probably isn't as good but is better than nothing.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
davidc83

I am not going to make any mods to the sprockets, just getting everyone's opinion. I do a lot of Interstate riding and sometimes I need the 75mph+ to pass semis, so swithcing to 16T would be a moot point. Later guys.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The MSF course will leave you with more skills than you can teach yourself. Just stick with it and you'll be fine.

Welcome aboard!