Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
iMoon1221

new jet now it wont start

i got a new jet because i have a slip on muffler on the way (got the bike with no muffler) the store only had a 140 so i decided to try it. i also did the needle shim mod. initially it started and ran good with a little throttle. the next morning it just wouldnt start. now the battery sounds like its giving out. should i just wait for the muffler and hope it helps?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Goose51683

Re: new jet now it wont start

Did you take the old exhaust off?

Give us a little more info if you could. Any unusual sounds? Does it just turn over and turn over with no ignition?

If you still have the old muffler on it but the 140 jet you may have to much fuel, meaning you either need to wait for the new exhaust or go back to your old jet.

Dead battery is from trying to start the engine over and over. Make sure you charge it up slowly before you try again. A weak battery will make it harder to figure out.

Try to give us some more description and we will see what other ideas we have.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Couple of simple things first:

Did you drain the float bowl when you removed the carb? Is the petcock set to 'RUN'?
If a lot of fuel drained out, then all of your attempts at cranking are relying on the vacuum created to refill the float bowl first. The bike isn't going to run until that is filled and the fuel circulation is working as it should again. That can take a while. The second part of that questions is whether or not the two little vacuum hoses that run from the gas tank to the carb at attached. It's not uncommon for someone to miss one of the 2. I have done it myself.

It would make sense to me that the bike would initially fire based on some residual fuel in the line. But then it would peter out because the fuel in the float bowl, which is relied upon to be the constant supply once the bike is running, wouldn't be there.

Put the petcock on PRI to prime the carb and then try.

a 140 is too rich for just an exhaust (or lack thereof) but it should still run.

Do you smell gas in the exhaust after you are cranking?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
iMoon1221

Thank you for your replies! im loving this forum more and more every time I use it. you guys are amazing and with out your help my gz would have no hope lol
there was no muffler on it when I got it. so I didn't take anything off.
it sounds like it wants to start but cant quite get it. sometimes it just sound like the starters going and that's all.
when my brother and I opened up the carb im pretty sure everything was drained. I didn't see any gas anywhere and we cleaned everything up.
as far as the hoses I checked them, double checked, then triple checked, because I too have missed that in the (not so distant) past.
I don't recall smelling gas but its possible
I somehow managed to misplace the old jet so im going to try to go to a different shop and get a couple jets today. if I cant I guess Ill just have to be patient and wait for the muffler I ordered and hope it helps
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It should at least run with the 140, even if it's too rich. So keep trying to get her to hit.

The reason I asked if you smelled gas was because it is possible to basically flood the chamber with too rich of a jet, but you should smell it out of your open header.

You'll get it. Just make sure you keep that battery topped up or you'll start wondering why it won't start and it won't have anything to do with the carb. These things full juice to fire properly.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
iMoon1221

how do i keep the battery topped up? does that just mean to charge it?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Battery tender, trickle charger, whatever you want. There isn't a whole lot of reserve on these after a good "why the hell won't this think crank" session.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Goose51683

Yeah just charge it slowly if possible (2amp charge)
Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
iMoon1221

so i tried a 130 jet and it still wont start. i can hear it.."chugging"? like its trying to start. i dont smell gas and the float bowl is full when i open the carb.
what am i doing wrong?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Kill switch turned on? Everything else right?
Are you positive that you seated the needle diaphragm properly? They can get pinched.

Are you using choke?