Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
mainlinecoffee

Impssible hot start?

Hey everybody,I'm in a bit of a jam and I am looking for ideas. A bit of background on the bike,it only uses two fuses. Ignition and tail lamp. The fuel tank is on/off and it has been jetted for drag pipe and pod filter. When I finished building In the winter I would have to crank it a bit if it was below 40f but i never even had to use the choke at 50 or warmer. I was riding today and it was beautiful at 80f and I was just crusing fine until I stopped by a leather bar to talk with a buddy that was working the door. Drank some coffee and was going to leave when my bike decided it no longer wanted to start. I had to clear the chamber completely of fuel by cutting gas flow and cranking WOT for about three minutes than the damn thing still didn't want to run. It is running fairly rich and the air filter has seen cleaner days but what am I missing here? I had to crank it over for almost 2o minutes than all the sudden it jumped to life. It has no problem running but starting is aweful! Is there anything I need to check or do? Thanks In advance for any advice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
mainlinecoffee

To clarify I was off the bike about a hour. It has done this three times today,act like it is flooded than just jump to life for no good reason. Possibly a stuck float? I ran sea foam in 4 of my last 10 fill ups and It dosnt matter if I turn the fuel off when I kill it.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
chromedome195

Is your choke somehow stuck in the "on" position?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
mainlinecoffee

I disabled the choke when I jetted the carb,lubed it replaced the spring with a stiffer one and reassembled it without the cable.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
grasshopper

Can you still hand choke it?

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ

Old 06-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
mainlinecoffee

No. I'm pretty sure it's vapor locked from heat. I just have no clue how to deal with it. I have been stranded in a parking lot for half a hour pulling all the fuel line and banging on the carb and nothing's happening. I rode about 30 miles before I parked it. It didn't happen when I only went 3 miles earlier.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinecoffee View Post
No. I'm pretty sure it's vapor locked from heat. I just have no clue how to deal with it. I have been stranded in a parking lot for half a hour pulling all the fuel line and banging on the carb and nothing's happening. I rode about 30 miles before I parked it. It didn't happen when I only went 3 miles earlier.
Man.........sorry to hear that. Were you able to get it home?

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Rcarlisle

Sometimes, when they "vapor lock", removing the gas cap will help. SOmetimes, it's just a matter of time. We have one that does that when the temps get around 80. I tried changing the cap but did not work. SO I tried changing the tank and so far so good. Most of the time, that bike will start back up like nothing ever happened. But it takes a few miununtes - as you said around 20 mimutes. The tank with issues is a 2006 - the replacement is 2002 or so. No visible differences.

Good luck solving it.

Randy
Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
mainlinecoffee

Turns out it was the coil going out! Had nothing to do with vapors. I sold my truck so I had to use my convertible 94 toyota camry,we cut the roof off and put the bike in the back seat. Had to tear the rear passenger door off due to three feet of over hang but we got it to the shop! I blew my back out getting the bike out and spent the next six hours of my life laying on the floor with a pitbull and German Shepard trying to lick my face off... Boyfriend drove me to the hospital today but no word on the bike.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
mainlinecoffee

New pimpmobile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.0 KB, 12 views)