Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Rick

Learning experience: valve adjustment

I decided to take this on this past weekend after reading the possible consequences of the valves being out of spec. So I gathered up the tools and took it apart. Had a lot of difficulty getting the generator cover cap off, so I used the alternative method of finding TDC (peek in the hole while rolling the bike in gear). Finally get that set, and went to check the clearance. On all of them I started at the middle of the spec range and couldn't fit the feeler in there, so went down to the low end of the range, and still couldn't fit it on some of them. It was fairly difficult just getting the feeler gauge in the right spot with all of the wiring harness and frame in the way. They all seemed tight but I just didn't feel comfortable about it so I put it back together and took it to the shop. They confirmed that the valves were tight and put them back into spec.

So I go to pickup the bike, and it stalls about 1/2 mile from the shop. Finally get it started, go another 1/4 mile and it stalls again. At this point I'm getting pretty pissed. So I look down, and see that the mechanic had failed to hook the vacuum hose up. So, to compensate, he cranked the idle WAAAY up, and set the petcock to "prime". Must've been smoking crack that day. Anyway the bike runs awesome now (after resetting the idle). Funny thing is, if I hadn't taken it apart earlier in the day, I probably wouldn't have known to check the vacuum hose, as I'd never worked on that part of the bike before.

Oh, and I found and fixed the source of my lingering oil leak....one of the head bolts was not quite snug. With the gas tank off it was very easy to find the source. So, two problems solved!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Learning experience: valve adjustment

Good going, Rick! Those shop mechanics...they seem to come out of the same school. Anyway, glad your bike is running great now.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

At least it was a happy ending. You did a lot better than most of my outings on "beyond the basics." My current thinking for these things is, "if I'm only going to do it once or twice in my life, wouldn't it make more sense to have someone that's done it a few hundred times or more do it?" Then of course, I usually find the guy who is also figuring it out for the first time.

I have heard a lot about this vacuum hose. Is it easy to locate?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Alan, the vacumn hose and fuel line are attached to the back side of the petcock. Pretty easy to find first time. No special tools required to unhook them either.