Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Synthetic Oil and a Fuel filter; Installed

I swtiched over to Castrol Syntec 10w40 Full-Synthetic oil this afternoon.
I then went for a 40 minute ride over Dug Gap Mountain and down through Mill Creek valley before heading back home.

I must say that I am pretty pleased with the results. I believe it was Badbob who mentioned the most noticeable difference being in the way the bike shifts. I'll have to agree with that statement, as the action required to shift seems much lighter and there is no longer the usual "CLUNK" that comes when each gears shifts.

Also, the bike seems to spool up easier. This might just be because I also adjusted my throttle play and loosened the throttle to allow for easier rotation. I think my bar ends have been on too tight.

As far as the fuel filter is concerned, there is no difference to be felt and I didn't expect one. The only thing a fuel filter does is offer a second layer of protection before the gas enters the carb. It was a straight-forward install and I'll even post a write up for those interested.

Take it easy,
Jonathan

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
bigfour

Sounds good, I may go full synth on my next change. Any clutch slippage with the new oil? Also let us know if you start losing/burning oil, I'm worried synthetic oil is 'slippier' and may get past piston rings where conventional oil wouldnt.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
davidc83

I changed my oil this past weekend and switched to Castrol GTX 10W40. Mainly because had it in the garage, had a SF rating and did not have energy conserving formula (the Castrol GTX 10W30 has the energy converving formula0.
Afterwards, I noticed a slight decrease in the clunk when shifting (although I think most of this is caused sometimes by me shifting too early). It sounds good.

The next time I think I will go with the Rotella 15W40 and try it. Mainly because we use it in our other vehicles including the diesel truck and have it on hand at any time.

With what I have read, as long as the oil does not contain 'energy conserving' formula, it will either have the emblem or state it on the container, we should be good on our wet clutches.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

No slippage or anything.
So far, the oil is still clean and clear.

I'll be able to give a real idea of oil consumption after the ride this weekend. I doubt that it would increase, as there was never a problem with it before.

So far, I've got nothing but praise for the synthetic switch. Now, if I could just get the bike to run on Alchohol, I would be completely petroleum free.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfour
I'm worried synthetic oil is 'slippier' and may get past piston rings where conventional oil wouldnt.
You may be thinking of the original Mobile1. It was very thin even at subzero temperature and would slip through places regular motor oil would not. This is not a problem for modern synthetics. Your oil consumption will not increase by any measurable amount. I run synthetics and if I had to add any oil I'd go looking for a leak.