Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
hol64

Seat

To all those people making long trips... How do you deal with the seat? Do you another solution for it? When I ride my bike for more than an hour, the seat really starts to feel uncomfortable.

:??: :??:

Let me know...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Gadzooks Mike

I bought a gel seat cover for a large bicycle seat and strapped in over the GZ seat. It went from "getting uncomfortable after 50 miles" to "I haven't had discomfort yet and have gone 200+ miles in a day". You can also get a gel seat cover made for motorcycles and spend nearly double. I'm cheap.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Another little more involved option is to take your seat cover off and remove some foam from the center ... replace it with gel padding (from ebay). The foam can be cut with a turkey knife or dug out and shaped with sandpaper.

I hated the gz seat ... then again, most stock seats stink on most bikes. My shadow stock seat was almost as bad as the gz. After almost 5,000 miles on the shadow and the last 2500 with the little solo seat i installed .. i've developed an iron ass lol. I can ride my 1" thick solo seat all day and feels like i been on my $500 mustang touring aftermarket seat.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Sarris

Seat

If there is really a deficit in the GZ, it's the seat. Jesus, after all these years of GZ production, you'd figure someone would make a good seat for the poor ol' GZ. I vote for Mustang. Lets get as many GZer's as possible to write to Mustang for a new GZ seat. Move the butt bowl back an inch or so & use the good foam, and make it look like a Mustang cop seat, yet keep it affordable. Gimme them studs & conchos. Yeee Ha!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Badbob

My Seat Solution

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=sargent

So long as I take a break and once in awhile I can ride all day on this seat.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
markboy

I came across this and may go check them out at a local dealer.

http://www.buttbuffer.com/

Having the gel pad mounted inside the seat sounds like the better way to go though.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
Badbob

Why I didn't Use A Pad

Gel pads absorb and retain heat very well. In Florida I the last thing I need is a hotter seat.

Gel pads have this odd little delayed shift when cornering that I could not get used to.

AirHawk pads shift as well as the pressure changes. I found this to be very annoying. Not so much on the highway but in traffic every time you stop you have to readjust you position. Then there was the what to do with the pad. I had this expensive pad sitting on my bike that would take two seconds to steal. It al so made getting the seat on and of much more difficult.

Having tried all three I think the custom seat is the way to go. By custom I don't mean made to fit. I mean send Sargent Cycles the and tell them what you want done to it. If you like the seat shape the way it it is just have the the foam replaced. However, I suggest you go to their site and read all the docs they have about custom seats and then give them a call to discuss what you have in mind. You might want to change the seat to make it fit you better.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Sarris

Re: Why I didn't Use A Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Gel pads have this odd little delayed shift when cornering that I could not get used to.
You are right Bob, that weird gooey feeling shift that feels like you shit yourself. Besides that, it raises you up 2 or more inches. I've had them installed under the vinyl. Still feels like a wet fart. And you are right about hot in Floriduh. If anyone can get a GZ seat pan, we'll send it to Mustang with as many sigs as we can get & beg for a good seat. The seat is the only complaint I got. How much do you think the Cheezee'er are willing to pay for a good seat? Cheap I'm sure...... ideas??
:chop:
Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Badbob

I got an almost new seat from eBay. Thats what a sent to Sargents for the custom seat build. I still have it but I want to keep this one until my wife decides if she wants hers done. I might hang on to it after that Incase I sell it to some one who doesn't like my tall seat.