Water Warrior 2

Re: Problems related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964
in america the only thing not metric is the "mind" of the people
???????????? :??: :??: :??:
I can relate to that. I fought the Metric system until I was forced to use it on the job. After getting familiar and practicing the Metric system it is actually a great system. Think of it as being bilingual with numbers.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #83
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964
in america the only thing not metric is the "mind" of the people
???????????? :??: :??: :??:
I can relate to that. I fought the Metric system until I was forced to use it on the job. After getting familiar and practicing the Metric system it is actually a great system. Think of it as being bilingual with numbers.
No, not the same. I can 'speak' in four different number syatems, and in eight computer languages, but with Metric I can't add 2mm and 2mm and get 4km!

Hey, maybe he meant 'the mime' of the people?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #84
Water Warrior 2

2mm+2mm=4km. I can't do that either. You may have just invented a whole new system. :lol:
Hmm. it is just about 1 A.M. Nice quiet night for a drive. Maybe go log some miles in my Metric truck with a 7-11 coffee for company. I'll put 340 ml of coffee in my 12 fluid ounce cup. Imperial ounces of course. Canadian eh.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #85
OldNTired

Quote:
2mm+2mm=4km. I can't do that either. You may have just invented a whole new system. :lol:
Hmm. it is just about 1 A.M. Nice quiet night for a drive. Maybe go log some miles in my Metric truck with a 7-11 coffee for company. I'll put 340 ml of coffee in my 12 fluid ounce cup. Imperial ounces of course. Canadian eh.
I thought Canadians only drank beer!?!?

And I could have used one earlier this evening, or maybe a whole case.
After helping the kids, I decided that since I didn't have parts, but did have
1/2 hour (what's THAT in Metric?) I would work on the cyl head - what us old-timers called 'porting and relieving. The only reason I pulled the head in the first place was to find a tappet screw and nut that were missing. I had found the nut after pulling off the head cover, but
I was afraid the screw had, broken or not, been sucked into the cylinder. I was
worried that it would mess up a valve, or scrape the piston or cyl walls, or drop into the engine case and jam the timing chain.
So, while turning the head around, grinder in hand, smoothing the ports, what did see
INSIDE one of the valve springs??? Yes! The tappet adjusting screw!
After a few minutes with a very small pry bar and the worlds longest and thinnest pair of
needle-nose pliers I had it in my hand.
Yes, it was beat up, chewed up by 'something', but all in one part. If I had seen it earlier I would not have had to pull the head. But, it was impossible to see looking down at it because of the spring.
Oh well, at least now I don't have to worry about finding it, or worse yet just a piece of it!
And after I am done with the grinder my ports will be smooth and shiny!
Gonna take your advice WW, and just take my time and enjoy it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #86
Water Warrior 2

30 minutes in Metric. Hmm, don't know if there is an answer. But it is 7.5 degrees as the earth turns on it's axis.

Loose parts. Glad to hear you made a major find. Could have been ugly if you missed the adjustment nut only to hear something go bang after all the work.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #87
OldNTired

Quote:
30 minutes in Metric. Hmm, don't know if there is an answer. But it is 7.5 degrees as the earth turns on it's axis.

Loose parts. Glad to hear you made a major find. Could have been ugly if you missed the adjustment nut only to hear something go bang after all the work.
No, not the nut - the tappet ajustment screw! How that thing got inside the spring I'll never figure out. Not even if I spent 380 degrees as the earth turns on its axis.
Except for finally getting the parts, the rest of the day sucked. I spent a little time finishing up the ports, then got a call from my doc. It seems that I must not have studied enough for one of my tests so I was 'ordered' to go to the hospital immediately and retake them. Hopefully I can start reasssembly tomorrow. I should have been done with this already.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #88
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired
Quote:

No, not the nut - the tappet ajustment screw! How that thing got inside the spring I'll never figure out. Not even if I spent 380 degrees as the earth turns on its axis.
Except for finally getting the parts, the rest of the day sucked. I spent a little time finishing up the ports, then got a call from my doc. It seems that I must not have studied enough for one of my tests so I was 'ordered' to go to the hospital immediately and retake them. Hopefully I can start reasssembly tomorrow. I should have been done with this already.
Well, they finally threw me out yesterday. Told me that they were tired of me screwing up their machines and chasing the nurses. Was too tired after getting home, so this afternoon I picked up where I left off (after finding all my tools and such) and dug in.
Took about 1.5 to 2 hours total, including cleanup and setting the valves.
It runs beautifully!!! Sounds better than a Swiss watch, and runs just as smooth.
And, no leaks.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #89
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like a clean bill of health. Good to hear.
Smoother than a Swiss watch.............you gotta be kidding. Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just don't tell me it runs as smooth as my 650 Vstrom. That would have to a total outright fabrication/halucination.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #90
OldNTired

Quote:
Sounds like a clean bill of health. Good to hear.
Smoother than a Swiss watch.............you gotta be kidding. Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just don't tell me it runs as smooth as my 650 Vstrom. That would have to a total outright fabrication/halucination.
And I'll take your word for that.
But honestly, this is the best I've ever heard it or driven it.