Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #81
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Start Up Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

After my last post, I realized that I should have added.............

If the starter is whirring, that shows that all the switches are working correctly. That leaves either the spark or the carb. First step is to check the plug. Remove it, reconnect the spark plug lead, & hold the plug against the engine (to get a good ground). Try starting the engine . If the starter whirrs & you see a good spark, then you can eliminate the plug (spark) as the fault, & the problem must (probably!)be with the carb. If there is no spark (or a weak spark) then you need to find out why. (possibly battery?)

There is a third possibility, but very rare, that the starter is not engaging the engine. Can you hear the engine trying to turn over?

Keep us posted, so we can update our assistance. :2tup:
Along the spark route, with that frame bolt missing, you've probably been experiencing more vibrations than normal. Check the connection of the wires at your coil to make sure they haven't backed off. (Do this after you determine whether or not it's a spark problem, as suggested above.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #82
Gz Rider

Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #83
longumd

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by longumd
I'm wondering if you guys agree with my guess on the carb?
After my last post, I realized that I should have added.............

If the starter is whirring, that shows that all the switches are working correctly. That leaves either the spark or the carb. First step is to check the plug. Remove it, reconnect the spark plug lead, & hold the plug against the engine (to get a good ground). Try starting the engine . If the starter whirrs & you see a good spark, then you can eliminate the plug (spark) as the fault, & the problem must (probably!)be with the carb. If there is no spark (or a weak spark) then you need to find out why. (possibly battery?)

There is a third possibility, but very rare, that the starter is not engaging the engine. Can you hear the engine trying to turn over?

Keep us posted, so we can update our assistance. :2tup:

Thanks.

I didn't hear the engine trying to turn over yesterday. I changed the spark plug last month but seems I need to check it again. Sorry I'm not fully understand how to “hold the plug against the engine”....

Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #84
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by longumd
Sorry I'm not fully understand how to “hold the plug against the engine”....
After removing the spark plug & re-attaching the plug lead to the end of the plug..........Hold the plug by the insulated lead, or the insulated (white porcelain) part of the plug, & touch the threaded part, firmly, to the top of the engine, somewhere where you can see the central electrode, as this is where you need to see if there's a spark or not. Keep holding it, firmly pressed (to get a good ground) while someone turns on the ignition, & in neutral, with the clutch pulled in, presses the starter. If the spark is ok you'll see it jump across from the central electrode to the inside wall of the plug.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #85
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Like this:

Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #86
longumd

OK. Thanks. Now I understand. Will do it over the weekend.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #87
mrlmd1

Do not attempt to hold the plug (or the wire) unless the plug is grounded against metal, preferably on the engine block, when you try to start the engine, or you will find out why. Big zap to you.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #88
longumd

A sunny and warm day today, got my battery installed in the morning and the bike just started very easily, just one click of the starter switch. I gave it a ride on highway and filled new gas also put in all the stablizer left last time. Performed an oil changed and cleaned the chain in the afternoon.

Kind of wierd, I did nothinng but the bike just recovered... Rided it several times today, it's all just 1 click of starter switch. Except late tonight, with 34 F outside, hold the starter switch for a while to get the bike start.

Another question, kind of interested what is this hose under the engine does? When I was doing the oil change, I unplug this cap by mistake and a little bit oil leaked out from this hose.

Thank you all!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #89
blaine

That is the drain for the air box.It is normal for a little water & oil to drain out.Just make sure that the plug goes back in & is clamped so it can't fall out.It is a good idea to drain it every time you change the oil.Glad that your bike is running well after the problems you had.Make sure that you use your choke when the temperature gets cooler,your bike will start easier.
:cool:

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #90
Gz Rider