Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #71
Jer

Re: Is "All the Gear, All the Time" a minority?

I cant find these on the leatherup.com site.

Can you post a link?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #72
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

http://tinyurl.com/5au2bn
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #73
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I got these pants in today and they fit a little tighter for the size, say maybe 1/2" and are a 32 inseam. The stretch panels are very nice but the removable knee "armor" is soft and really very flat and will need to be broken in/shaped by wear. The denim is not as thick as I had hoped. It's about the weight of normal Levis. Given that, I doubt it would hold up to much of an asphalt-slide, maybe cement parking lot, but definitely not highway asphalt.

They fit well while sitting on the either bike (sport or cruiser) riding position, and allow for a lot of movement in the knees and waist. The flex panels breath well and if you look at the enlarged pics on the site, they wrap from outside the knees, inside the thigh and across the groin giving a nice flowing breeze "down there", if you know what I mean -- and I think you do.

So far I like them enough that I have ordered 2 more pair. At less than $40 each, they seem to be a good deal, if even just for a pair of comfortable jeans to wear riding to the store and back.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #74
alanmcorcoran

So Patrick, If I'm a 32/32 what size would I order for the right fit?

(Note: when I go off my fitness regimen, I tend to quickly balloon up to a 35" but I've been holding steady at about a 32.5 for a while now. My armored pants have some adjustment built into in the sides.)
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #75
patrick_777

Get the 34. You can always (and should) wear a belt. And for riding jeans, you probably don't want to go stripping the seams to take them out.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #76
alanmcorcoran

Thanks. I've grown to like my Batman style padded and armored pants, but they are a bit much for the office. I'm looking for something I can use for the short commute to work, but offers more protection than Wranglers.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #77
Mandachan

Wow..interesting convo.

Honestly, I think past experiances and personal experiances are what shapes a person in what they choose to do. Me and my husband always leave with full gear - it was one of the stipulations i had before he bought a bike. He's only 28, and I'm only 25. And it would suck to loose him this early due to something that was mostly preventable.

Personally, I've taken the MSF class, and working in medicine....well, the Brain Death studies i do - we see some motorcycle crashes.... Once you see what it looks like to have those types of burns/head injuries/body injuries...you wouldn't ever wish to experiance any of that. There was even an ER physician in our MSF class..lol not someone you normally expect to see in those classes =).

Being in florida - i can honestly say we're REALLY in the minority. Even with the MSF class being mandatory for all motorcycle riders now. I went to BikeFest this past weekend, and it amazed me that we were 1 of maybe 2 other couples/people that were actually wearing boots/mesh jacket/pants/full face helmet/gloves.

Personally, I'm a rather strong believer in out of sight, out of mind. If you never see it first hand, you'll probably always take the risk. But, it's your risk, not mine!

I met a guy before i started riding, he was a respiratory therapist - he layed his busa down doing about 180 on a free way wearing only t-shirt and jeans and a helmet. He lived to tell about it. And he never ever goes out without all his gear now. He had road rash on about 50% of his body.

OMG i'm done now. I am just rambling, so don't take anything i say as personal plzkthx!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #78
music man

First of all, If you are doing 180 on the highway on any motorcycle (or car for that matter) the last thing that is probably on your mind is worrying about Road Rash. You have already made peace with road rash, dying, broken bones, and even though anything is possible, the chances of you not getting road rash going that fast even with gear on is slim to none. So in closing if I ever go 180 on a bike and then crash and live to tell about it, you will not hear me saying a word about the road rash I got.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #79
Mandachan

Lol well yeah...his point to me was "I was young and stupid and didn't think it would happen to me, and it was addicting going that fast".
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #80
mr. softie

I received those xelement jeans the other day. (see previous post on pg 3 of this thread). They will do for casual rides in warm/dry weather. The rise is a little shorter than I would like, and I prefer deeper pockets. Worth the dough though. Knee armor seems good. The sizing is the same as Levi's etc. The stretchy parts add comfort but look funny. In cooler/wet weather I plan on using a one piece Fieldsheer Highland II suit I just ordered from Bike Bandit.