Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #51
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Not the speed I expected.

My bad for missing this thread.

I run my Shadow at 65 on the highway no problem. Ran it on a 2hr ride like that and it ran fine.

If you want to get the most out of your Shadow, change the rear sprocket to a 37 or 38 tooth. You'll have to shorten the chain (very easy to do) but well worth the effort. You can wind up the gears when shifting. I usually run 3rd gear up to 45 or 50mph and 4th up to 60. Only on the highway do i get into 5th with this setup. You'll get much lower RPM and the bike wont sound like its over revving.

What year shadow do you have? I have 2 digital manuals covering up to 2007. Only difference would be the shaft drive, but everything else is the same. They havent changed much until very recently.

You should join up on some of the shadow forums as well. http://www.hondashadow.net/ is the friendly, old fart, safety conscience, agatt, help forum. http://www.shadowriders.net is the raw, uncut, rough rider, customizing, wrench your own bike, vulgar forum.

Hondashadow.net is good for maintenance, help, gear ... a lot like what we offer here.
Shadowriders.net is good for customizing, learning how to work your own bike, taking crap off your bike and making it awesome. They are rough on noobs (general hazing to make sure you can hang with the 'big boys' and dont go home crying to mommy because some guys talked nasty to you). Once you get past noob status, they are a good bunch to deal with. Good to read through their forum and get a feel for everything first. I've been a member there for a long time. You want to learn your bike, that is the place to be.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #52
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #53
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
(general hazing to make sure you can hang with the 'big boys' and dont go home crying to mommy because some guys talked nasty to you).
Typical bully's excuse.

I'll stick to a site like this where people are immediately welcomed.

:popcorn:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #54
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #55
PimpS

I agree, behaviour of man is many times shitty, but lately a good sentence rings in my head: What other people think of you, it's not your problem. Bad luck is when the power/knowledge is in hand of bully, instead of wiseman.

A nice youtube clip for taking care of good communication, ergo better relations ergo better life...

I hope your bike goes just the rigt power and speed to enjoy it as much you want or need!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #56
Water Warrior 2

WOW, did this topic take a hard left turn into another world. It is all good though. Dupo presented 2 different forums that represent 2 different styles of bike ownership. Neither one is all bad in any way. It is all about variety and the options out there for various types of folks who enjoy their bikes and like to share the results.
The bully part is just the flavor of the forum and the reader can take it of leave it. This forum is more of a family show and I do thank Dupo for keeping it that way to encourage younger/new riders to join in and be part of the family.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #57
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #58
Water Warrior 2

I used to lurk on a lot of forums that were pretty much barroom brawls kinda things. Don't miss them one bit though. I like a more polite society which is what this forum is and always will be in my opinion. Info and personal experiences here are the meat of the forum.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #59
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

They just dont want whining guys on their forum who don't want to learn how to wrench their own bikes and have everything handed to them. They are a very elite bunch of bike modders who work exclusively on Shadows. They learned what they learned by doing. They are machinists, welders as well as some regular guys who chop bikes in their spare time. If its not swapping out the air box for a hypercharger, its raking the front end or hand making a new seat. They do simple to hard core mods to their bikes and dont have time for dilly dallying around with "how do i change the oil" or "what safety vest should i buy".

Bullies no, they just want to know they type of member is signing up by hazing them a little in the beginning. If you can take their giving you a little bs on your first few posts you will enter a world of knowledge from guys who have torn their bikes down to nuts and bolts and put them back together again. You will gain respect from a great bunch of guys who will bend over backwards to give you a hand working something out with your bike.

I take a little offense to calling them bullies. I am one of them, so what are you saying about me?

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #60
Rookie Rider

I love all of you and this forum