Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #51
Rookie Rider

Re: When to use the clutch...

If you squeeze in the clutch and down shift before a turn (which i do), do you just release the clutch without giving anymore throttle? Because i hold the clutch in thru the turn with no throttle till coming out of turn then give throttle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #52
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
If you squeeze in the clutch and down shift before a turn (which i do), do you just release the clutch without giving anymore throttle? Because i hold the clutch in thru the turn with no throttle till coming out of turn then give throttle.
Nope. You should be in the appropriate gear with the clutch out(engaged). To rid yourself of jerking on a downshift just blip the throttle a bit a moment before letting out the clutch. This way you will closely match the engine RPM and speed of the bike before you have entered the turn. Coast(clutch out) into the turn and gently apply throttle to complete the turn. The bike will be much smoother and you will have more control. The key is to be as smooth as possible in all your actions. This does take practice and some thought as to what you are doing and why you are doing it. Just ride around the neighborhood and turn left or right at every corner. This way you will build confidence and get a feeling for shifting and matching gears to the speed while in familiar surroundings. Later on unfamiliar areas will not be near the challenge when you get comfy.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #53
mrlmd1

You should not be in neutral, coasting around a turn with the clutch in. You have much better traction when cornering around a turn with the rear wheel under power, and turning up the power as you are leaving the turn (1/2 way through it). You set up your speed before entering the turn, speed up a little through it, out of it.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #54
Rookie Rider

I squeeze clutch in and downshift before a turn, but i hold the clutch in cause i dont know if i can just let clutch out (clutch in, down shift, clutch out ... no throttole, can i do it like this? ) without giving it some throttle without stalling
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #55
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Why couldn't you just let the clutch out? Clutch out, no throttle .... you are asking if you can do that? You do that on decel right? Why couldn't you in a turn?

Seems you keep asking the same question over and over ... we've shown video how to turn and replied several times on how to take a turn or corner.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #56
Rookie Rider

Yes i do that to decel but i hold the clutch in still, i dont let it out. When i do let it out im giving it throttle.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #57
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Yes i do that to decel but i hold the clutch in still, i dont let it out. When i do let it out im giving it throttle.
IMHO, it seems like you can't grasp the rather simple concept. I think you need professional advice. Have you taken the basic riders' course? If not, I reckon you ought to take it. If you have done, then you haven't had your money's worth, & should think about going back & asking the instructor to walk you through it. :2tup:
Old 07-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
geezer

im with stupid :plus1:
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #59
Rookie Rider

Im the most sober burnout youd ever meet. lol. The MSF course did this with us, in second gear to let off throttle, downshift, brake, (no clutch) turn, and give throttle when almost out of turn. I stalled once and fell with the bike on the street and i guess i have a fear of it happening again, i dont know.. I like to be sure ya know. Thank you fellas.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #60
mrlmd1

If the bike is traveling forward with the bars and front wheel turned to the side and you hit the front brake, or stall, the bike is going DOWN, that's a matter of physics and is a given, every time. You probably hit the brake at slow speed making you fall over. You may have been in too high a gear for the speed you were traveling and the engine lugged and stalled. Practice, practice, and more practice is what you need, and READ those books.