Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #51
Jvacustoms

Re: spark plugs

I have tried to pursue the performance issue on this bike other than ripping the motor apart i have no idea what could be wrong with it. clean carburetor, tank, air filter, bike, new tires (properly balanced, and inflated), 87 octane with the star tron enzyme treatment from Marathon fuels(which I have never had a problem out of) chain is properly adjusted new brakes on the front and properly adjusted rear brakes, new spark plug, all new turn signal bulbs and brake light bulbs, saddlebags and a 210 lbs. Rider 16t/41 rear and i ride at 55 in 5th with consistent smooth take offs and mostly rural highway driving. Stock exhaust, stock jets, stock seats, no windshield, but the chrome trim i added to the tank and fenders make it go faster... lol runs right no choke after 5 minutes or so. I hit reserve on my bike at 152 miles on average with 3.0 gallons of fuel to add.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #52
mrlmd1

Are you running 100% pure gas or E10?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #53
Jvacustoms

E10 I cant get ethanol free gas in my area unless I pay close to 10 dollars a gallon at the boat dock... with a gas can.

and I drive way to much to water seperate the fuel from the ethanol.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #54
mrlmd1

Is either your front or rear brake dragging? Does the bike roll easily in neutral and do the wheels spin with no dragging?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #55
Jvacustoms

the front brake squeaks from time to time but only since i put new brake pads on the front a week ago and the rear will spin regularly and i didn't notice any drag on the front.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #56
greatmaul

Hi, old thread I know, but I'm looking to tune up my little bike since I don't know when the last time it was tuned was (bought with 7k miles on it.)

Anyway, was intrigued by the "pulse plugs" because, well... the ads are all slick and stuff, but checked on Amazon and the reviews for it are quite dismal: http://www.amazon.com/Pulstar-BE-1-Puls ... B000WMHEBE complaining of cheap materials, poor performance, lasting only about 8k miles and at best, the same mileage as a good platinum plug.

I know iridium are a known quantity, since they're used stock in many japanese car engines, so I may go that route, or just platinum. In any case, I'll be avoiding the pulses.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #57
alantf

Mmmmmmmmmm You seem to have forgotten that the GZ has a low compression, built to a price, single cylinder, engine. Given this, and the fact that the stock plug does its job efficiently, and lasts forever, I think you're deluding yourself by thinking that an expensive, highly marketed, plug is going to make any difference whatsoever, apart from lining the pockets of the manufacturer. All a plug does is ignite the fuel/air mix. The stock plug does it well enough (perfectly, actually) but if you want to throw your money away, then let us know how you get on. :2tup:
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #58
Jvacustoms

I found that the Copper Champion Plug is a slightly more efficient plug that the standard ngk plug, or at least in my case it has been about 2-3mpg difference, but not really any power gain other than placebo effect. I top speed out at 75 with a 15t gear, and 87 with a 16t gear in the front. My quest for power from a gz got placed on a back burner to allow the quest for life of my goldwing 1200 to be accomplished. I ride my gz everyday about 80 miles a day. That might stop soon as it is freaking cold before the sun comes up in Georgia! when the sun is out i could ride all day...
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #59
CMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
I am wanting to try iridium in my bike but was concerned if it would be to hot and scorch my piston top , is that a valid concern or am i just over thinking this thing
Mine works great with no problems [GZ250 2008] CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #60
Gz Rider