Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
FLAJIM

Re: Cleaning chain with kerosine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
We keep telling you guys -- Dupont Teflon Spray Lube --- no mess, no fuss. Clean the chain one time, then use the spray and you don't have to keep doing that.
Or,get a bike with belt drive. :neener:
Sorry For the NewBe question, But the manual says to use heavy wt motor oil, I like the idea of a spray. But I don't under stand have often I should do it.... Manual says every 600 miles..... do you agree ??

Thanks in advance Be Safe JIM

BTW where do I buy the Dupont Tefon Spray lube ?????

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #52
blaine

I always cleaned & lubed my chain every 600 miles (1000 KM).I always cleaned the chain with kerosene,and used PJ1 spray chain lube.I don't like using oil on the chain as it is messy,and attracts dirt.The PJ1 goes on as a spray to penetrate,then thickens to stay in place & resist dirt & water.Is is also excellent to lubricate cables & pivot points.
:cool:

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #53
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM
Any good hardware store. Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, auto parts stores, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc, etc, etc, it's not hard to find. In a blue spray can, about $8, an excellent lube for all sorts of things beside the bike chain.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM
Any good hardware store. Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, auto parts stores, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc, etc, etc, it's not hard to find. In a blue spray can, about $8, an excellent lube for all sorts of things beside the bike chain.
A can of DuPont also lasts longer so you get a double saving.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #55
burkbuilds

I'm convinced of this. Keep the chain well lubed, you can't over lube a chain.

With my GZ the chain had not been cared for when I bought the bike. It had rust on it and although I cleaned it every week and oiled it after cleaning, it was shot at 11,000 miles. I tried the spray lubes and heavy oil, but once you let a chain get rusty and worn, there's not anything that can "revive" it. By that I mean replace lost metal, you might free up sticky pins and links but wear is wear.

When I got my 500 in the Summer of 2009 I decided that I was going to get a loobman chain oiler and put it on the bike. It was only about $30 delivered, and I fill it up with a mixture of multi weight motor oil and some heavy weight differential oil. So far I have over 41,000 miles on that chain and it is good and tight on the rear sprocket and the sprocket shows no visible wear or hook to the teeth. I rarely ever clean the chain. Maybe once every 10,000 miles or so, but I give it a shot of oil through the loobman about every 100 -150 miles.

Yes, heavy oil is messy, although with the loobman I don't get as much sling off as I did when I just oiled the chain by hand with a rag. Nothing beats heavy oil for preventing wear in a high pressure situation, that's why rear end fluid is traditionally 80 wt and up. The chain and your sprockets get the same type of heavy loading as the gears in a differential. I know a lot of guys on here swear by the teflon sprays, and maybe that is enough, and it certainly is less messy, but I can't argue with the results I've gotten using heavy oil on my chain and using it regularly.

So, whichever you decide to use, I'd recommend using it frequently, you won't over lube your chain.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #56
Water Warrior 2

Differential oil is much more resistant to the shear forces and does not break down as quickly. That is one of the reasons some cheaper engine oils don't work well in bikes. Tranny gears have continuous shear forces the same as differentials. 41,000 miles on a chain is quite exceptional but not unheard of with a chain oiler. Nice to hear from another happy Loobman owner.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #57
greatmaul

yay I just ordered a Loobman from their website. Excited about it because I'm a bit um.. negligent apparently when it comes to oiling a chain. I thought it was something you did maybe twice a year, not every 600 miles. (I commute almost 200 miles a day so *cough* I might be a little behind.)
Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #58
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
yay I just ordered a Loobman from their website. Excited about it because I'm a bit um.. negligent apparently when it comes to oiling a chain. I thought it was something you did maybe twice a year, not every 600 miles. (I commute almost 200 miles a day so *cough* I might be a little behind.)
A very good investment,for someone that puts on that amount of miles in a day.You will still need to do periodical cleaning of the chain.
:cool:

Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
ecr959

Wow. I'm very impressed. You commute 200 miles a day ? On the gz ? Nice to hear that. I am about to start using my gz to go to work every day, and with the early morning temps down around 35 - 38 degrees, I'm not looking forward to it. But my commute will be 5 or 6 miles. each way.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #60
Gz Rider