Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #41
GZ Jess

Re: Just a few questions....

Well I finally got to the plug, not a bad job at all. When I started to work at getting the wire off (black cap thing) I noticed that the plug was so loose it wiggled in the block. I got it completely out using my fingers only. As you can see by the attached pic the plug is not discolored or overly corroded. I don't have a gapper so I am just going to put it back in and tighten it correctly. I will go for a short ride, hopefully a tag, and see if anything has changed. I think I will pick up a new plug and gapper when my new air filter comes in (had to order) and replace it soon after. Thanks everyone and I will report back shortly!

Jessica

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
I noticed that the plug was so loose it wiggled in the block.
WOW. You're lucky that the threads weren't damaged. That could cause it to run funny.
Just guessing, the gap looks a little wide on the old plug; it looks a little dark too. Good call on getting a new one.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #43
GZ Jess

Now I have reinstalled the old plug (for now) and tightened it just past finger tight, I don't have a torque wrench yet. It started up with the choke on and only required me to hold the throttle for about half the time as before. It ran for a little while (maybe 3-5 min) in the garage and I was able to start to turn off the choke but not all the way. Later I will go for a ride and evaluate further but tightening the plug seems to have helped the starting a little and I can't wait to see if it has fixed the racing idle when I stop and it is hot. I am still going to get a new plug, check the gap and install when I can get one. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #44
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
Now I have reinstalled the old plug (for now) and tightened it just past finger tight, I don't have a torque wrench yet
I might get shot down in flames for this, but here goes - In all the years I've been riding/driving, I've NEVER used a torque wrench on the plugs. In fact, the plug spanner supplied with the GZ, could in no way be described as a torque wrench. After the plug is finger tight, it just needs the plug spanner to snug up the plug, & squash the soft washer to make a good, tight, seal. I'm not trying to be derogatory, but I doubt that you (o.k., any normal woman :blush: ) could tighten it enough to make it "too tight" with the bar supplied (screwdriver blade!) :2tup:
Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #45
GZ Jess

Alan, I do believe you are right about tightening it. I was just cussing earlier in the garage about not having enough strength in my hands to do the mechanics. I have always liked working the the garage and trying to do anything a man could do. But I am not as strong, so I do agree with you.

However, I may be a dolt but I could not figure out how to finagle that tool in to the plug. The bar that the cover bolted to was just in the way! Oh well it is back together now.

Jessica

Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #46
Sarris

Most folks don't use a torque wrench for spark plugs.

I use the old rule of tighten 1/4 turn past finger tight for a new plug (a little less for an old one). A loose and/or bad plug will cause all sort of running issues, so get that new plug and tighten it per my instruction and you'll be just fine.

Then take it out and run the crap out of it for a few miles and blow the crud out of it. You'll be surprised how much better it will run.

:2tup:
Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #47
GZ Jess

The only reason I mentioned the torque wrench what because of the how to section. But if I don't have to worry about it even better!

I just wanted to say that my bike is now running like a dream, starting it still takes holding the throttle but not near as long as I used to. Tightening the plug did it! Thank you everyone!