Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #41
Jer

Re: Spent 15 min directing traffic last night....

I'll be wearing all my gear when I vote.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #42
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
I just feel very strongly about this subject.
And I think you can find a way to experss that without calling people "stupid".

When you say, in effect, anybody that rides without a helmet is STUPID, I take personal offense.
You seem to be defending your right to call me stupid in THIS public forum.

I don't think you are qualified to label me stupid.

I don't give a good flying crap what anybody else does as far as wearing gear or not.
I understand that you DO but that doesn't give you any right, in a forum that tries to be civil, to be throwing around insults.

:curse:

I quit. If you can't understand what I am saying, then I think you are being stupid. :neener: :biggrin:
I'm sorry if you're taking personal offense to my opinion. That isn't my intent, and if you do take personal offense, then that's your decision, not mine. I didn't direct anything towards you, or make statements that directly accused you of anything. I didn't throw around insults, and I certainly didn't fire off directed attacks. I don't dislike you, even though you may have taken a dislike to me for my adamant views on the subject. I suppose it goes with the territory of feeling strongly about something.

I only care about what people wear because I do consider them fellow riders. I care about what happens to them. I know from experience, and from losing more than one friend's life, that not wearing the right gear is a quick way to a lot of pain, and I don't like to see that. If that insults you, then so be it. But remember that you choose to be insulted. Just know that I also care about what happens to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Yeah for Patrick. That's what admins and moderators are for. To keep us on track, prevent the impression that we are out to "get" or ridicule one another, keep the conversation civil but allow us all to express an opinion. Way to go Patrick!
Usually there is a right and a wrong way to do things, or a safe and unsafe way, but since we are all 'adults" here, we each make our own choices in life after weighing the risk/benefit ratio and have to live (or die) by those decisions. Just also think once in a while of your loved ones and not always of yourself when you choose. We can end this discussion here any time or we can keep going around in circles and keep rehashing the same thing. The best advice is to be well informed or educated and then make your own best decision, no matter what the subject is, rather than relying on emotions only. Like for the upcoming election, and let's please not go there.
Yes, I agree. I run a few forums of my own, and know that the job of an Admin (and Mod) is to keep things running smoothly, and prevent some members from preying on the community. I respect that, and also respect the need to keep a good balance between debate and moderating. If things tip too far in either direction, you're looking at needless drama in a hurry.

As for your point about being adults and making our own decisions, I agree completely. Hell, I don't like that there're laws about drugs. If I want to put some chemical in my body, I should be allowed to do so, as long as it only affects me. Same is true for helmets. If people don't want to wear helmets, I don't think the state should tell them they have to, or seat belts, for that matter. It only affects you (and possibly the family you leave behind, but that's another post for another time). And I am NOT being sarcastic, I really don't like the government telling me what to do. I had to wait 45 days just to be able to carry around my Glock.

I just feel strongly on a personal level about the riding gear for reasons outlined above. And I think that when most reasonable people have their own brushes with those reasons, they'll feel equally as strong. But I'm new here, and if this is a dead horse, we don't need to beat it.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #43
Moedad

Quote:
I really don't like the government telling me what to do. I had to wait 45 days just to be able to carry around my Glock.
Could be a lot worse. You could live in California, where Alan is a doodyhead :biggrin: , and it generally takes months to be approved to carry your Glock, IF you're approved at all.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #44
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
I really don't like the government telling me what to do. I had to wait 45 days just to be able to carry around my Glock.
Could be a lot worse. You could live in California, where Alan is a doodyhead :biggrin: , and it generally takes months to be approved to carry your Glock, IF you're approved at all.
Ouch. At least here in Virginia, if you don't get an answer within 45 days, you're issues a De Facto permit good until the court gives its final decision.

But in California, helmets aren't mandatory and you can ride between the lanes...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #45
Moedad

Quote:
But in California, helmets aren't mandatory and you can ride between the lanes...
You're half right. Helmets ARE mandatory.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #46
Jer

Quote:
FASCIST!!!!!

:lol:
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #47
rusty rider

Yesterday when riding home from my trip the wind started kicking up, and getting over cast. So I briefly pulled over to the side of the road to zip my jacket up all the way. As I was pulled over a biker going the other direction started slowing down, I waved at him to let him know I was ok, and he gave me the thumbs up on his way past.

With out exaggeration (sic) Labor day on my way south I must have passed 300 to 400 bikes. I thought that there must be a rally around Nashville, IN because there were so many bikes out. In Bloomington I met up with an older fella wearing shorts, biker boot chap combo, that can best be described as looking like waders, a vest with a big indian logo, do rag. He pulled up next to me at a light and struck a conversation with me. Now I'm wearing my jacket, helmet, jeans and boots. We rode to together about 30 miles, and when it came for me to turn we gave each other a wave. We are all brothers and sisters on the road, I may have had an 18 year hiatus from riding but I have never forgotten what it means to be a biker.

I also don't agree with many of the comments on this thread, but I strongly agree with your right to say them. :cool:
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #48
Jer

The biggest freedom of all is listening to someone and being able to disagree with him.

Openly.

Once we lose that its over.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #49
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
Quote:
FASCIST!!!!!

:lol:
Hey, I didn't make the law! That said, I'd wear one anyway. My nephew rides a dual sport and wears ATGATT and when someone teases him, he says, "Have you ever been hit by a car? I have (and he HAS)." That's about it for comments.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #50
Jer

I was just kidding.