Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
Gz Rider

Re: Not the speed I expected.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Might be a good idea to change the gear oil in the rear end. If it is original it may have some unwanted particles in it. I changed the gear oil in Lynda's M-50 to flush out any contaminants. Used Amsoil synthetic. A liter/quart will last you a very long time as the volume of oil needed is quite small.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #33
dentheman

The manual states only mileage, not time for all checks, adjustments and changes. And changing gear oil sounds like a good idea, it is next on my agenda.

I took her out on the freeway again today. Sixty mph tops at first, but again with a stiff West Texas cross-wind, but coming home without the cross-wind she did 70 WITH THROTTLE TO SPARE (this is the first time I had throttle to spare). Each time I take her out she does a little better, so I think the Seafoam is doing its job, and exrcising her also is helping. But I think the stiff winds that are so common here are a big part of the problem. I will know more when I ride her on one of our rare calm days.

The one 'rider' problem I am trying to correct now is making a little too wide a right turn at an intersection. I need to move a little more to the left in the right turn lane to get the proper apex of my turn. Learning to ride my first bike takes me back many years to when I was getting my driver's license. "Check the mirrors, use turn signals, come to a complete stop, when do I shift?" That sort of thing.

And always beware the lady talking on the phone while driving an SUV! I apologize to any ladies who read that, but I have had several close calls on my road bike (bicycle), and in every case it was a lady on the phone while driving an SUV who turned in front of me.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
JWR

To make turns...the bike follows where you are looking..

If you are looking over the front fender, you will run wide.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
To make turns...the bike follows where you are looking..

If you are looking over the front fender, you will run wide.
Absolutely. Look where you want to go and your body and the bike will do the rest. Your turns will be smoother and more controlled. Just be sure to glance down at the road before the turn to check for potholes or slippery stuff. Then raise your eyes up and into the distance. Having a short field of vision will cause weaving and overcorrecting. Then you crash.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
dentheman

Yeah, I remember that from class, but I need to position myself better so I don't have to lean further than I feel safe.

I did have to 'retest' on staying inside the lines on turns, so I know it is my weakness and requires more practice.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like you need more saddle time and practice. You are probably still somewhat tense and unsure of yourself. A new to you bike is always going to need some bonding time with you to feel right. Lynda and I found the same thing with our bikes. Take your time and practice when you feel in the right state of mind and body. If you feel a little out of sorts on a particular day then don't get on the bike. Ride safe ride smart.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #38
dentheman

I have ruled out the carburetor as the problem. She just runs too well for that. Now I think the throttle cable is too long. The previous owner changed the grips and even with the adjuster screwed all the way out there is too much freeplay in the throttle. So, even with the throttle open to its stop, I believe the carb's linkage isn't pulled fully. I can barely see the carb, and cannot see the linkage to adjust the cable at that end (if it can be adjusted), so I will take her into the shop when the weather warms up again. I will post again at that time.

ADDED LATER: I decided to try to get a better look at the carb. I loosened the air box to move it out of the way enough to see the carb's throttle cable connection (only needed to remove 2 bolts and loosen one screw). The throttle does move the linkage full travel, additional throttle movement is taken up by a spring, so cable length isn't a problem. Maybe the carb linkage hits an adjustable stop, but I couldn't see one, I need to get a mechanic's mirror to view the hidden areas. If nothing else, I am getting some knowledge of the inner workings of my bike.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Gz Rider

Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

Once again, I know nothing about your bike but I have seen a slightly dirty carb jet rob 10-15% of the top rpm's of an engine that otherwise runs fine.
:plus1: :2tup: