Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #31

Re: getting new bike, 3 to decide on. hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
any one think the shaft drive would really be worth paying a bit more for.
Yes.

Me, too, now that I have a shaft drive (V Star 650 Custom). I've heard, as was mentioned by someone else, that you might lose some power as compared to chain drive (especially when cornering), but I think you'd have to be a very experienced/aggressive rider for this to matter much. I still feel like I should be doing more to maintain my bike, but I think I may have been a little anal with how often I cleaned the chain on the GZ. I think about that sometimes when I"m out riding (not cleaning a chain) :neener:.

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #32
dhgeyer

Back before O-Ring chains, the superiority of shaft drive over a chain was almost a no-brainer. With the advent of chains that can last up to 30 thousand miles, it's a little less clear. True, you don't have to mess with a shaft drive every few hundred miles, or after riding in the rain. But, when they do require maintenance it is a bigger job, and one that not everyone will tackle on their own. The final drive must be removed, and drive shaft splines greased. The rear ones aren't too bad, but every so often you have to take the swingarm off and grease the ones up front. Also, the oil seals can fail, and replacing them is a job only a shop should tackle.

Add it all up, and the shaft still requires less effort overall, but the difference is not as dramatic as it used to be.

Belt drive might just be the best answer to date. I'm surprised more bikes haven't gone that route.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
the vlx well i really like the way it looks and gets descent gas milage but in all honesty i did not find it to be the most comfortable bike and something about it seemed kind of akward.
There you go! Whatever works best for you is the right solution.
Looks are good but the RIDE is the important thing.
I forgot, have you actually looked at/ridden the Vulcan 500 or the Vstar 650 ??

Now, to complicate your life even further...... :roll: ....... a really popular mid-sized cruiser lately has been the Suzuki M50 or it's sportier cousin, the S50. 800 cc but not really TOO big.

Don't rush into anything !!! :shocked: :crackup

Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
the vlx well i really like the way it looks and gets descent gas milage but in all honesty i did not find it to be the most comfortable bike and something about it seemed kind of akward.
There you go! Whatever works best for you is the right solution.
Looks are good but the RIDE is the important thing.
I forgot, have you actually looked at/ridden the Vulcan 500 or the Vstar 650 ??

Now, to complicate your life even further...... :roll: ....... a really popular mid-sized cruiser lately has been the Suzuki M50 or it's sportier cousin, the S50. 800 cc but not really TOO big.

Don't rush into anything !!! :shocked: :crackup

i am fimilliar with the m50, too big and hard to find used for cheep. probably have a hard time fitting the bike and the car in the garage with that. it is a nice bike tho. the vstar 650 well its so damn wide or the pipe sticks out so wide wide that when ever when i put my right leg down it sets directly agaist the exhaust pipe. and my left leg sets drirectly on the engine when i put it down. i don't want a bike where i have to be that carefull not to burn my legs off., cant find any used vulcans to go and check out. closest one is about a hour away..

tons of shadows availabe and i like them best out of every thing i tired out.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
cant find any used vulcans to go and check out. closest one is about a hour away..
My local dealer has had 2 NEW Vulcan 500's on the lot most of the summer; marked down almost $1k......to about $4700, I think. This is a good time of the year to negotiate good deals on NEW bikes (and used ones) at the dealers. They REALLY don't want to be sitting on them all winter if they can help it.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #36
dhgeyer

Couple more thoughts about the VLX, if you decide to go that route. I'd forgotten to mention this before. They made changes to the bike somewhere around 1999 or '98, I forget exactly. We had two of them at the same time. I rode an '04 and my wife rode a '95. It was kind of a fluke that we wound up in that configuration - I won't go into it. Didn't last very long. I traded mine for a Ninja 500. I digress again, sorry.
They looked almost identical except for color, but underneath there were some significant changes. Short version: the older one had a much better saddle and more power. The newer model had only one carburator. The older one had what looked like a single carb, but it was really two carbs in a single unit. They needed to be synced like any other multi-carb bike. The loss was, oh, I think about 5 hp on the newer ones. Not a biggie, but noticeable. The older one ran a little smoother, too. The newer one was a little easier to work on, as the air filter came off a little easier, and the front valve cover wasn't such a nightmare to get out. Also, I don't think the Leatherlyke bags were compatible with the older model, if that's a consideration.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Well danny if you are looking at a shadow 750 on C-list ... chain vs shaft on these bikes depend on what you want to do with it. If you are wanting to change a sprocket to lower the RPMs on the highway (which most do) then you'll want chain drive. Also, if you ever want to lower it a little bit with a lowering kit you'll also need to go with chain drive. Shaft drive on the 750 shadows are just that, shaft drive and you cant do much with the rear end.

And yes easy, it IS my opinion. I offer it ..... take it or leave it, but dont give me shit every time i offer it. It may not apply to everyone, but to some it will. So whats the problem?? I don't see anywhere that i PUSHED him into anything. I offered my advise and if it helped, great. If not ... thats fine too. Again, whats the problem??

If you want coolness factor and a highly customizable and aftermarket part available (and cheap to do it) bike ... the shadow 750 is the way to go. You won't find another bike with SO many parts available to make it to your liking. (ok, NOW im pushing him, scold me all ya want).

In the end, you'll get what YOU want. I say it again, good luck.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 08-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

I have to agree with Dupo on the aftermarket stuff for a Shadow. Probably the easiest bike to change or modify. Only the name will remain the same in some cases. The 750 class has been around for decades and the market reflects this.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
And yes easy, it IS my opinion. I offer it ..... take it or leave it, but dont give me shit every time i offer it. It may not apply to everyone, but to some it will. So whats the problem??
It is not what you say but HOW you say it. We've been over this before and, it seems, that you just don't get the difference between expressing an opinion and, instead stating your "opinion" as though it was a fact.

In addition, you come across as dismissive of others thoughts and feelings; condescending mostly. As long as you continue to do it THAT way, I'll be right behind you calling you on it.

"If you want a putt putt bike, then there ya go. "

So, what the hell is a "putt-putt" bike? Sounds like the words were chosen to be insulting.

".......when you are used to the next notch bike and wanna go bigger again. (it will happen)."

You aren't a mind reader. Just because it happened to you doesn't mean it will to everybody.
The market is not glutted with used 500-600 bikes that nobody wants; seems to me quite the opposite is happening and they are somewhat hard to find. That would tend to indicate that it has not happened to a LOT of people. I've been riding for 40+ years and never wanted a bike bigger than 600 cc's. Just because YOU say it will happen doesn't mean it will.

Further, I would suggest that there is a significant number of riders who end up with a bike that is just TOO BIG for them and they have to sell it and back off a bit; some are so stubborn about it though that they have to wreck it or have it fall on them before they stop listening to their "friends" who keep telling them "stick with it. You'll be OK."

That's what the problem IS.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #40
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Belt drive might just be the best answer to date. I'm surprised more bikes haven't gone that route.
I have belt drive on the Strat. To be honest, I couldn't tell you how it differs in performance or feel from the chain drive on the GZ, but the Strat is wicked quick and very smooth. When I think of a belt I think of alternators, radiator fans and A/C compressors, slippage, wear and ill-timed snappage, but they sure seem to work good on the Yamaha.