Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #31
Goose51683

Re: First time bobber project

Thanks Jon, I am wrapping for aesthetics more than anything. Right now I get a dead spot but it's lower in the throttle like around the 1/4-1/2 open. I have a 140 in right now and I'm getting to about 72mph. I was thinking about trying a 142.5 just to see if their is any difference. if not I'll probably drop back to the 140. I am pretty happy with it.

Now comes tuning the rest of the carb.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #32
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Keep the 140 for right now.

That 1/4-1/2 (and probably up to 3/4) flat spot, indicates that you need to richen up your midrange, which is controlled by the needle.

Basically, you are going to pull the black top cover of your carb and raise the needle jet. There are two types of carbs for our bikes. Some of them have a little clamping circling that you will simply move down one or two notches on the needle. The other kind requires that you add some tiny little washers to raise the needle. Either way, it's pretty easy.

Pull the diaphragm cover and see which kind you have. If you have the kind where you have to raise it yourself, then swing over to the home depot and get some little washers, IIRC, they were size #6 #8. Just really thin machine washers.

Follow this link for some more help: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15&hilit=raise+your+needle

Here is a photo of my 2006 needle:
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Goose51683

Okay, heres a little update with a pic.

I got a 140 jet in the carb, seems to be running pretty well. I wrapped the exhaust last night. I have yet to chop the bars in the back but despite the downsides I think it's going to happen eventually.

So that's where I am and here is a quick pic I took this morning.

Also, I don't remember if I mentioned that I made a side mount plate holder out of plexiglass last week. Well I noticed today that it is no longer on my bike, apparently my design wasn't robust enough, luckily I only had a paper plate on at the time. Needless to say, that will be my next project.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #34
Goose51683

Jon,

THanks for the image. That'll also be on the list for this weekend.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #35
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

For your plate holder, Home Depot has some easy to use aluminum flashing. It's sturdy enough to hold up to the vibrations but easy enough to bend by hand without slicing your palms open.

And, no problem man. Once you get it right, you'll really enjoy it.

I do have to admit that I like the look of that wrap. It's like a Sandpeople Speederbike from Star Wars.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
Goose51683

Well that wasn't exactly what I was going for but their are worse comparisons.

I mean really, who doens't love Star wars. now I just need a couple of those pole/spear things for forks!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
Goose51683

Next question, any recommendations for where to get a seat, and some mounts for my mirrors that stick off the end of the bars.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's not a negative comparison! I like it!

(I'm a little surprised that this has turned into only a two person conversation? Where the Hell is everybody?)

There is only one real option on the forum for a seat, and it's a Harley springer. You'll only have to make a couple of slight adjustments to it. There is a how-to if you want to do a search.

Some of our long-gone members spent countless hours and some of their own money testing and purchasing factory seats that we surmised would be direct replacements for our bike... those all turned out to be frivolous endeavors. (Here's a pint for Sarris)

And for bar-end mirrors, I had some for a while before I sold the bike. I think I got them on Ebay. Just the cheapest stuff I could find. Do a search for 7/8" bar-end mirrors and you'll be on your way. (They may also carry these for off-road bikes or ATVs at your local dirtbike shop.)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #39
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

...A star wars themed bike would be amazing...

This is awesome too, though
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
Goose51683

Throw a couple wheels on that baby and you've got a ride!

Yeah this place has gotten pretty quiet lately. Lots of good content but a little low on the participation.

I figured I would have to modify a seat to get it to fit. There is nothing aftermarket for these bikes but that is kind of what I enjoy. It makes me really work on the bike, not just bolt on another part.

Makes it a true reflection of me....which also means it's pretty half assed...HAHA