Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
Blackbird

Re: New exhaust really helped my mpg's and I like the sound too!

I might as well jump into this discussion on changing pipes too. I just recently put on a megaphone style pipe and the sound is very community friendly. My wife too was concerned that too much noise was going to annoy the neighbors and she would have to listen to their guff. However, she said it wasn't bad at all, a gentile rumble, no more. She also added that it looked a lot nicer than the stock. To be honest about it, she was my main concern about it being too loud. Whew ... past the wife test with flying colors! I must admit that I don't race or gun my engine in the driveway or neighborhood just to make noise. Some people do and I think this is what gets the neighbors pissed off. The little GZ can be noisy if you don't use a baffle.
Now, the next wife test is my new windshield that is due in at any time, she isn't sure this is going to be a good look for Raven (my bike).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
mrlmd1

BB- post a picture and tell us what it is.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
The little GZ can be noisy if you don't use a baffle.
Now, the next wife test is my new windshield that is due in at any time, she isn't sure this is going to be a good look for Raven (my bike).
I think part of my HF hearing loss on the left side is from rev'ing my Honda 550-4 inside a garage with un-baffled megaphones on it. :retard: :skull: (Just ONCE.)

I think even the little GZ would be pretty obnoxious with a straight megaphone on it; the clip of the straight drop-pipe was bad enough.

You might need to remind the wif' that a windshield is a functional accessory, not a cosmetic one !! :biggrin:

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #34
Blackbird

mrmld1 ... here is the megaphone muffler, it is an Emgo that a few dealers sell. Mine of course has a baffle in it. I think mostly they come with a baffle. I got the longer one and it is welded on. Once I get the windshield on Raven I'll post a photo if anyone is interested. I put the K&N filter in it, a 132.5 main jet, shimmed the needle. Runs nice. My left arm is getting pretty sore now because Raven is black and all of the chicks keep waving at us. Not wanting to be rude, I feel obligated to wave back and back and back ...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
burkbuilds

That's a nice looking muffler! Do you know if it's available on line anywhere? I might have gone with that instead of the one I got if I had seen it first. Oh well, not gonna change it now.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #36
burkbuilds

Looks like Easy Rider was right again about my increase in mileage. I'm back to getting 71-72 mpg, which is up a little from 70, but not significantly. I don't know why I got 84 mpg the week after I made the muffler switch, but not anymore. My only thought is that the Saturday that I switched it out was the day after I finished Winter Quarter at school and I was off school the entire next week so those two tankfulls of gas where I got 84 mpg I was not driving my usual route to school and back every day and maybe where I was driving was a lot more flat than the hills on highway 27 that I'm usually on going back and forth to school. However, I am able to top the biggest hill I cross on 27 without losing any speed, which I couldn't do before, I used to drop from 55 down to 50 before I topped the hill, now I'm able to keep it at 55 without even having the throttle wide open, so the top end seems to have a little more power than before. Same top speed though, 77mph for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #37
Blackbird

Burkbuilds ... "That's a nice looking muffler! Do you know if it's available on line anywhere? I might have gone with that instead of the one I got if I had seen it first. Oh well, not gonna change it now."

You or someone else can find it on eBay or Dennis Kirk or Google it to see who else has it. I got mine at Dennis Kirk. They have shortys too.
Yep, looks like your exhaust is done, hard to change it now.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
David Bo

Hi Blackbird. I am on the EMGO website and I am having a hard time finding the muffler you showed us. Do you have a part number?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHROME-PLATED- ... _10111.jcw
http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv ... haust_Emgo

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #40
Blackbird

David Bo ... Try this link to Dennis Kirk.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... Id=&mmyId=